Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Bite the Apple

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Sunday, January 22, 1984
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY

The Raiders beat the hell out of the Skins, 38-9! I couldn't believe it. Washington played terrible! Theismann couldn't throw worth beans and Riggins and the rest just played lousy! Marcus Allen, the MVP, rushed for 191 yards, a new record. Man!

Earlier, I did the Geometry Cumulative Review, but didn't do anything with my research paper. I hafta get those comments and fast! Time's running out!

Other than that, all I did was take out the garbage and knock down some icicles. Big day.

I woke up at 10:30. Caesar was barking and whining all morning. Talk about a pain in the butt!

Seeya later,

The Barbarian aka Mr. Obnoxious

Postscript: I wasn't a huge football fan at this point, but had started getting into it the last few years, especially the playoffs. The Redskins were the defending champs and went 14-2 in the regular season in 1983, so nobody expected them to get shellacked like that. 

The Super Bowl that year was also notable for the debut of Apple's 1984-themed (as in Orwell's "1984") ad for the Macintosh. People lost their minds over that shit.

 
 

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...