Thursday, January 10, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Snowbound

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.  

Tuesday, January 10, 1984
PAT BENATAR'S BIRTHDAY

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Some Heads Are Gonna Roll - JUDAS PRIEST
2. Nobody Told Me - John Lennon
3. It Can Happen - Yes
4. Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
5. Sweetheart Like You - Bob Dylan

It snowed a lot today, man. About 4 inches. They say we're gonna get about a foot tonight. School got out at 12 today, and if it isn't canceled, will only start at 9:40 tomorrow. That means I can get about 2 hours of extra sleep.

I tried to go skating on the pond after school but there was too much friggin' snow on it. So I went back in the house and started on my Geog. research paper. I only got 14 pages done!! I figure I'll have about 2 more to go and then I can start typing it up. Sure hope school is canceled tomorrow.

I got writer's cramp. I've been writing for about 10 hours today. Sheet!

Later, man.

- The Barbarian

P.S. "Hey, boy! You look mighty cute in those tight jeans, boy! Why don't you come over here and..."

Postscript: So I'm not really sure why I had to celebrate Pat Benatar's birthday, but there you have it...and holy shit, she turns 60 today!

These were the days when winters really kicked ass. We didn't even live that far up into NH; we were just over the border, two towns from Haverhill, but the winters in the '80s there were cold and snowy.

About that P.S. It's a line from Eddie Murphy's Comedian album (which itself comes from his Delirious video special). The routine is basically imagining various TV personalities as homosexuals, including Mr. T. Nowadays, it's terribly un-PC and basically homophobic, but damn if it wasn't the funniest thing my buddies and I had ever heard. And we were reciting those lines constantly. I pretty much knew most of the album by heart before I ever purchased it. I made sure when I ordered it from the Columbia Record Club that I bought the cassette so I could listen to it on my Walkman and not give my mom a heart attack. (Warning, the clip below is NSFW.)

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...