Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Skateaway

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984. 

Sunday, January 8, 1984

We went to the Mall of New Hampshire today. I got a Koho stick and Daoust skates! I also bought a Triumph button today. It's cool.



When we got home I went skating on the pond. I still got it! J.P. kept falling on his butt, though.

Man, weekends are a MASSIVE bore here.

Lotsa tests tomorrow.

Seeya later, hosehead!

- The Barbarian

Postscript: Back in the early '80s, going to a mall was a major expedition from Kingston. The Mall of NH is in Manchester, which is a good 40- to 45-minute drive.

As for the hockey stuff, it had been more than two years since I had last skated; I was still living in Canada then. In Washington state, nobody cared about hockey and there was nowhere to skate at the time (now there's a rink in one of the neighboring cities from where I lived). Our property in NH had a huge pond behind it and this was our first winter there. Back then, it stayed frozen all winter, so it was great to get new skates. Coincidentally, I used those same skates this past weekend when I took the girls pond skating here in Beverly. I don't use them to play hockey anymore but break them out on the rare occasions that it gets cold enough to skate on a pond. They're pretty flimsy compared to big hockey skate boots made nowadays, but they're fine for just zipping around outside.

As a connoisseur of Canadian hard rock,Triumph was one of my go-to bands. And back then I liked to wear pins of my favorite bands on my ski vest. Pretty sure that pin was of the Allied Forces album cover shown above.

Tomorrow: Christmas vacation is over, so it's back to school.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had that pin! Or Tito did and I ended up with it. One or the other!

Jay said...

Allied Forces...of rock and ro-oh-oh-oh-olllll!

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...