Saturday, January 19, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Just One More Time

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Thursday, January 19, 1984

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
2. Jump - Van Halen
3. I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis and the News
4. Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes
5. Just One More Time - The Headpins

Took my Alg II retest and got an 88. Not bad!

It snowed all night but we only got about 3 inches. No delays or anything, at least not at Sanborn.

Today we got fetal pigs in Bi Sci. First we took a test on bones and then [the teacher] gave us pigs. Me and [redacted lab partner] got one. We called her (it was a female) Amelia. We're not making that permanent yet. We've got other choices like Boy George, Michael Jackson, etc.

I got a 77 on that French test on reflexives, but I added 18 francs to give me a 95.  

I'm going to bed now. Later.

- The Barbarian

Postscript: Bi Sci was the class where I hung out with a buddy who was considered a "burnout" and the teacher told my parents I was hanging out with the wrong crowd. There was a lot of goofing off and sarcastic remarks and such. Oh, well. I definitely had an interesting cross-section of friends at Sanborn. I hung out a lot with a group of unpopular dudes who could have been considered burnouts, although it's not like we were sneaking off to smoke weed or anything. But I also played soccer and hung out with those guys. And I would also congregate with the cute girls of the sophomore class. Hey, I'm not picky.

So that Headpins song, literally haven't heard it since 1984. They were a Canadian act that had a minor hit with this song. Don't really remember hearing much about them after that, but I recall thinking the singer, Darby Mills, was kind of hot. She also had a good voice. A couple of the guys in the band were from that band Chilliwack, which was both chilli and wack.

 



 

No comments:

Day After Day #84: Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Can't You Hear Me Knocking (1971) ...