Saturday, January 26, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: New Moon on Monday

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Wednesday, January 25, 1984
WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
3. Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
4. Send Me an Angel - Real Life
5. The Heart of Rock n' Roll - Huey Lewis and the News

Midterms. I had Algebra and Geometry finals today. I think (I hope!) I did good. Tomorrow I have Coll. Lit, Geog., Geom., Alg, finals and a Bi-Sci quiz! Now does that suck or what? 

I got 7 pages typed on my research paper. I have around 2 more to go.

[Redacted girl I like] lives in Newton. Well, once I get a car that won't be a problem. I'm acting as if I'm going with her. I haven't even asked her yet. Yet. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? Well, we'll see.

Dad got a raise and a promotion today. Now he's "Design Supervisor." Not bad.

[Teacher] won't be at school in Geog. tomorrow. Hooray!

Things are starting to happen, man. I'm looking forward to the next few months.

- The (anxious) Barbarian

Thursday, January 26, 1984
EDDIE VAN HALEN'S BIRTHDAY

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
2. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
3. Jump - Van Halen
4. New Moon on Monday - Duran Duran
5. Some Heads are Gonna Roll - Judas Priest 

Actually, today wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. [Female friend] told me that I got 11 off on my College Lit final. If she's right, then I did better than [another student who was pretty smart]! The Geography final was surprisingly easy! I sat in [another kid's] seat with no complications today. Geometry and Algebra I'm a little less sure about!

I have [four friends] in my Prep for College class next term. That'll kick some butt!

Judas Priest is playing the Centrum on March 26. Van Halen's Centrum concert sold out in 2 hours yesterday!

I finally finished that dang research paper. 9 pages typed, with 10 footnotes and a bibliography. Not a bad job. I think I'll get an A.

Tomorrow's actually Friday! Wow.

- The (slightly relieved) Barbarian

Postscript: It was a fairly stressful week with all the midterms. School always came fairly easily to me, so I wasn't overly worried, but it was still a lot of work. 

Still mooning over this girl I liked. I used to really fall head over heels long before anything ever came close to materializing. Kinda funny to read now but at the time it was very distracting.

That a Duran Duran song was a hit on WAAF is interesting because of that station's hard rock bent, but at the time, it was a fairly mainstream station. And as a result, I have kind of a soft spot for that classic era DD stuff. Don't own any other than a few MP3s I found online, but I know all the popular stuff fairly well just from hearing it (and seeing the videos) so often back in the '80s.  

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...