Sunday, January 13, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Looks That Kill

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Friday, January 13, 1984

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
2. Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
3. The Heart of Rock 'n Roll - Huey Lewis and the News
4. Bark at the Moon - OZZY
5. Hot for Teacher - Van Halen!

Talk about Friday the 13th! I got a friggin' 69 on my Algebra II test and a zero on a quiz in French!

But, all that aside, I'm doing all right. I did good on my driving appointment today. We were doing parallel parking.

I'm really looking forward to [redacted's] party tomorrow. Jeremy is going to give me a ride. He'll pick me up at 7. I think I'm gonna get [redacted] one of those funny cards.

Oboy!

Later,

The Barbarian

Postscript: Ah, the anticipation of a big party. I believe this was the first party I'd been invited to, so naturally hopes were high. Not sure what "one of those funny cards" ended up being, but I'm sure it was pretty tame compared to the raunchy stuff you can get today. This girl was a friend and was probably the hottest girl in the sophomore class. That said, she also had a serious boyfriend and was way out of my league, but I had no unrealistic ideas about hooking up with her. No, this was just a way to escape the mind-crushing boredom of my family life for a few hours.

BTW, the Motley Crue video below is hilarious. So goddamn stupid. It's kinda funny to think that folks like Tipper Gore were so up in arms over these dopes. But I was into the first few Crue albums, I will admit. Good, dumb rock n' roll.

 


 

No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #524: April 19, 2024

A wise man once said, "You might as well jump" and by gum, we believed him. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs abou...