Friday, January 11, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Bark at the Moon

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Wednesday, January 11, 1984

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
2. Jump - Van Halen
3. The Heart of Rock n' Roll - Huey Lewis and the News
4. Changes - Yes
5. Bark at the Moon - OZZY

School was canceled today because of all the snow. I started typing my Geog. research paper and got 6 pages done. About two more to go.

Not much else to write about because all I did was type all day!

Later.

- The Barbarian

Postscript: It's funny what you remember and what you don't. I have zero memory of slaving away all day writing and typing these papers. My whole theory on memory is as you accumulate more and more memories, eventually less important information is pushed out of your brain. These memories definitely qualify for that less important category.

Might as well share a few thoughts on WAAF, which is one of the few area rock stations still standing. 'AAF was my go-to station when we first moved to New England. It had an emphasis on hard rock but played a fairly broad spectrum of other rock sounds. WBCN was a little more diverse, so eventually I started jumping back and forth between the two stations. And occasionally I would listen to new station WFNX, which played more of the "college rock" sound that I was slowly warming to. I was a big radio listener. If I wasn't listening to vinyl, I was listening to the radio. Now I never listen to the radio. Amazing how things change.

   

No comments:

Day After Day #105: No One Knows

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   No One Knows (2002) Many bands go thei...