Monday, June 01, 2009

Leave it at the Door

Another year keeps flying by. Welcome to June. We had a whirlwind of a weekend down in NJ, driving back home in the midst of a rainstorm yesterday afternoon.

The trail run with Matt and Joe Saturday was fun and challenging. We ended up doing about 11 miles in 2:50, which sounds excruciatingly slow until you consider some of the seriously steep hills we climbed. Lots of rocks, branches, tree roots, grass, creeks...but fortunately no bears. Some mountain bikers we ran across said they saw one, but we didn't. Joe is running the Covered Bridges half in Vermont next weekend and was just bounding through the trails. It was all I could do to keep up with him. Matt was struggling, but only because he did some crazy hill repeat training the day before and his legs were hurting. So I made it all the way until about a half-mile to go when I totally rolled my right ankle; hurt like a mofo. I hobbled for a while and then ran a little. It's still pretty sore, but not too bad. I'm supposed to run tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. Guess I'm gonna have to get me some trail shoes. One thing's for sure, that fall 50K I'm thinking about is going to be killer.

Saturday night, Matt and I went to a Little League fundraising dinner while the wives took care of the kids and had takeout Thai food. Matt coaches Danny's team with a couple of other folks and we hung out with them. So the event was called a "beefsteak," which is apparently a common New Jersey function. It reminded me of a Brazilian BBQ in that the servers would bring around food--in this case, trays of beef on small pieces of bread, slathered in butter--until you said "no mas." You basically ate as much as you could until you were absolutely stuffed to the gills. The key was not to eat the bread. We brought a cooler of beer with us, so it ended up being a long night. Matt didn't realize that there was entertainment in the form of three comedians; we didn't get out of there until after 11:30. I was kinda bummed I missed all of game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, but it was a good time.

I was worried I was either going to be hung over and/or ill from all the food, but I felt okay in the morning. We had to be at the church by 7:30 for Danny's communion. It went great and Danny and his cousin Jimmy did well; of course, the girls weren't used to sitting through a 90-minute church service and were getting hungry, but they didn't whine too loudly. We went back to the homestead for a small shindig before hitting the road at 12:30.

On the hockey front, I found a skate at Pingree in South Hamilton; they play on Tuesdays and Thursdays and need guys. The husband of a former co-worker of mine plays there, so I'm going on Thursday to see how it goes. It starts at 8 p.m. and is a 15-minute drive, which sounds pretty great right there.

Hello there:
  • Well, there were two games in two nights and Detroit won them both. Pittsburgh played well, but not well enough. Unfortunately for them, against a team as good as the Wings, you need to play mistake-free hockey. Hopefully, they can take their two home games this week.
  • I suppose it was inevitable: Some Twitter twit ran into a tree because he was Tweeting while running and now he's famous. Wow, I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.
  • Scary story about that Air France plane that went missing over the Atlantic. Looks like there were multiple malfunctions and the plane crashed into the ocean. It's hard to imagine that so many things were wrong with the plane and yet nobody caught it in the pre-flight checks.

No comments:

Day After Day #111: Talk About Love

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Talk About Love (1987) When you're a...