Monday, June 08, 2009

What's a Fella Gotta Do

It's no fun having a sick kid, especially for the sick kid. Poor Hannah felt kinda lousy all weekend, complaining of a sore throat. We took her temperature yesterday afternoon and found she had a fever, so we kept her home from school today. This afternoon, Deb took her to the doctor and found she has strep throat. So we've got the antibiotics and she should be okay in a day or two, but I felt so bad for her. She won't eat much because it hurts to swallow and she's listless because she hasn't eaten a whole lot the last two days. And of course, her little sister is pissed because big sis is getting all the attention. Fun times.


For avid consumers of television content, we've never forked out the dough for a nice TV set. We've always had hand-me-down sets from various relatives, but that may change soon. After our main TV was rendered unusable by me yesterday because the "on" button broke off (long story), I hooked up our other TV in the living room, only to realize there's no way to connect the DVD player to it. And we finally realized, maybe it's time we actually bought a decent TV. So I've been checking out the sales fliers for a flatscreen HDTV; it won't be one of the ginormous ones, but I've got my eye on a 42-inch set. We still have to research whether we want to pay more for the HD programming through DirecTV, but it'd be cool to have a state of the art TV for a change.


It was a lazy weekend. We didn't have anywhere to be for the most part, which was kinda nice. After a week in which I only ran once, I got a 7-miler in Saturday morning and felt pretty good. Ran again today and felt great, so the hamstring issue is gone. I think it was just the delayed aftereffects of that trail run last weekend in NJ. Which made me realize that it would be stupid to run both the Maine Marathon in early October and then that 50K trail run two weeks later. They're just two totally different types of events that require different types of training. So I'm going to just do the Maine Marathon, because I want to shoot for another PR. I'll do the 7-mile portion of the trail event instead, which I should be able to handle easily. I'm glad I figured this out now, because I have to start training for Maine in two weeks.


Kibbles and bits:

  • Bret Michaels of Poison has had a career renaissance in recent years with his uber-sleazy "Rock of Love" series of "reality shows." So much so that Poison played at the Tony Awards last night for some reason. All was good until a set piece landed right on his head. Ouch. He's got a broken nose, but I bet he's enjoying the attention.

  • Stephen Colbert's in Iraq this week doing his show and as part of the first one, he was given a buzzcut by a general at the order of President Obama.

  • Big game 6 tomorrow night in the Stanley Cup finals. I was excited for the Penguins to take control of the series Saturday night after tying it at 2 on Thursday, but instead they turned in their worst performance of the playoffs. Hopefully, the Pens can get it back together and win tomorrow night to force a game 7 Friday in Detroit.

No comments:

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...