Sunday, June 14, 2009

Having an Average Weekend

Another weekend just flew by. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination. On Friday, I went to an after-work farewell for my supervisor, who left for a new gig. Good time. Picked up the girls from a friend's place because Deb was out with friends and got home in time to watch Pittsburgh knock off Detroit 2-1 to win the Stanley Cup in seven games. It was a great game and a nice way to cap a great series. It came right down to the last second, as Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury had to make a spectacular diving save on Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom with 1.2 seconds left to preserve the win. All in all, an exciting playoff season.

Yesterday, I got out and ran a strong 8-miler in the morning. In the afternoon, Hannah wrapped up her spring soccer season and then we headed up to NH to take my mom out for a belated birthday dinner at a pub in Hampton. We were about halfway through it when I happened to absentmindedly look over to the next table and noticed an old high school buddy out with his family. We might get together and golf next month if we can make the schedules work. After we got home, we found out that the folks who bought the house diagonally across Rt. 1A from us were having a huge housewarming bash. Not long after moving in, they had a huge eyesore of a wooden fence erected around the property, and now I know why: it makes it a lot easier to have a big party in your front yard. I guess they invited some of the neighbors and there were a ton of people there; lots of loud music (I heard some TV on the Radio and I think !!!, so a pretty decent soundtrack) that was blaring until about 10:30. I was impressed that nobody called the cops on them. Back in the day, I had a few house parties busted up after neighbors made noise complaints. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it as long as it isn't in the middle of the week, and even then I would never call the cops.

Today, we took the girls to a birthday party at the Roller Palace. I had planned to rent skates so I could skate around with Lily, but when I tried them on, I realized it had been about 30 years since I'd worn those old-school skates. I have rollerblades that I can get around on pretty well, but I forgot to dig them out of the basement. So I ended up walking around the rink with Lily, who was on rollerskates for the first time. She did really well, falling down a few times but getting the hang of it and having fun. Hannah had done it once before and was having a blast skating around with her friends.

We didn't get a new TV yet; waiting on another check or two to come in first. Also, had a false start on the podcasting plans today. I'm hoping I can record it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Baco bits:
  • Can Sarah Palin go back to governing her state or whatever the hell it is that she does? Because this whole non-story about her slamming Dave Letterman for a couple of jokes he made is flat-out stooooopid. Enough, already.
  • Man, right when the Jays get their act back together again, Roy Halladay tweaks his groin and they promptly get swept by the frickin' Marlins. Hopefully he'll be okay with some rest and back by next weekend as they plan, but suddenly they're 5 games out and tied with Tampa.
  • Sad story out of Stoughton, where a 4-year-old girl was in a crosswalk yesterday when she was struck by a car driven by an 89-year-old woman; the girl died today in a hospital. This is the third accident involving an elderly motorist driving into people in the last two weeks. Much love to the senior citizens, but when are we going to start testing drivers over a certain age? I've seen more than a few folks driving who looked like they were in no condition to be operating a vehicle. It's bad enough when you've got folks distracted by their cell phones; at the very least we should be ensuring they're mentally competent to even get in a car.

No comments:

Day After Day #85: Gentlemen

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Gentlemen (1993) When the Afghan Whigs...