Saturday, May 30, 2009

Highway Girl

Greetings from New Jersey. We jumped in the minivan at 6 last night and made pretty decent time. Along the way, Hannah was eating a sandwich when she managed to dislodge one of her already loose teeth. After about 30 minutes of working on it, she nonchalantly pulled out her first tooth. It was pretty cool. My sources tell me the Tooth Fairy left her a dollar bill and a dollar coin. Nice haul. I think I got a quarter for my teeth back in the day.

It was kind of a crappy week full of chilly, rainy weather. I even wore pants one day. Had to run on the treadmill twice. Thankfully, that's over and the next week or so looks to be pretty nice. I'm going on a 12-mile trail run in a few hours with Matt and Joe, so that should be fun and possibly painful.

Hallelujah, free at last! The Jays finally won a game last night, breaking their hideous nine-game losing streak and getting to within a game of the Red Sox. Hopefully they can take one or two more from the Sox and get things on the right track again. And yet another thing that makes me feel old: The Rogers Center (aka The Skydome) is 20 years old. Yikes.

The NHL finals begin tonight with a rematch of the Wings and Penguins; last year, Detroit won the Cup fairly easily in six games, shutting out Pittsburgh in the first two games. I don't think that's going to happen again. The Pens look much better and have more depth, and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury has been amazing. The Wings are pretty banged up and it doesn't help them that the first two games are back-to-back for the first time in 54 years thanks to NBC. I say Pens in 7. Hope I'm right.

Jay Leno's tenure at the Tonight Show ended last night with not much hoopla. After 17 years at the helm, you might expect he'd warrant some fanfare, but Conan O'Brien, his replacement, got many more tributes a few months ago when he wrapped up his stint on Late Night. Part of it is that Leno will be back in three months with a five-night-a-week 10 p.m. show on NBC. But part of it is Leno, while dependable and good with a monologue, just wasn't that memorable. I'm much more interested in seeing with Conan does with the Tonight Show starting Monday. I am curious to see whether Leno can pull off the five nights a week thing in the fall, but probably won't watch it that often if at all.

No comments:

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...