Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Voices

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Tuesday, May 22, 1984

Song of the day: Beautiful Girls - Van Halen

Top 5 at Five
1. No Way Out - Jefferson Starship
2. Round and Round - Ratt
3. My Oh My - Slade
4. Whisper to a Scream - Icicle Works
5. Don't Give It Up - The Lyres

What a nice day. It hit 83! It was sunny all day, too!

The Civics test was easy and I hope I did good on the Algebra quiz.

The pot seed [a buddy] planted in Bi Sci sprouted. It was watered today.

I'm going to bed now.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, May 23, 1984

Song of the day: On Fire - Van Halen

The Kumar Curse strikes again! I went to Market Basket. Jeremy went in before me. While I was waiting, some guy says that the manager has a meeting right away and I'll have to come back next week! Now does that suck or what?! Jeremy got the job but he can only start in August because he isn't 16 yet.

I was pissed at first but I've cooled off now. Just have to wait another week.

Today's high was 88! (But it felt hotter.) Around 6, we had a massive T-storm for a while, then it stopped.

I got an 85 on the Algebra quiz. Not bad.

Tomorrow's Senior skip day but I"m not going. Soph skip day is June 6. I'm skipping on that day. Still don't know about Junior skip day.

- The (impatient) Barbarian

Thursday, May 24, 1984

Song of the day: House of Pain - Van Halen

Top 5 at Five
1. My Oh My - Slade
2. Legs - ZZ Top
3. No Way Out - Jefferson Starship
4. Panama - Van Halen
5. Eyes Without a Face - Billy Idol

Today it was windy! The seniors picked a lousy skip day, it was too cool out.


I dead-lifted 255 lbs. today. Not bad.

I'm reaching the panic stage now: 3-page typewritten Prep for College report due Monday. I don't even know what to do it on. And an oral report in Civics. Aaargh!

I'm trying to get closer to [cute chick I previously liked] again. She got the Market Basket cashier job starting June 4. If I get a job there, that'll be great! I'd see her in summer, too. She's awesome; I hope I can start up a relationship with her.

- The Barbarian

Friday, May 25, 1984

Song of the day: Roller - April Wine

Top 5 at Five
1. Missed
2. Missed
3. Voices - Russ Ballard
4. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
5. Magic - The Cars

Well, this week wasn't half bad!


In Civics, while everyone else was taking the NH Competency Test, I went to the library and got the last 3 books on words before [classmate] got to 'em! I did alright in the Geometry quiz, I flunked the Prep for College quiz, and I did good on the French quiz.

After school, I took Dad's car and went and dropped JP off at the library. Then I went to the Sanborn tennis courts where [three buddies] were playing tennis. I goofed around for a while then took JP home. I also drove us to music lessons.

I left in the Senior class will my GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip to [a buddy]. Right.

I'm gonna see if I can talk Mom into letting me have the car on June 6. Late-breaking news: Jeremy told me that [hot chick] broke up with her boyfriend. Awesome! Who knows? We'll see what happens next.

- The Barbarian

Saturday, May 26, 1984

Song of the day: Over the Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne

Lazy day. I didn't get as much done on my report as I had wanted to, but I got 3 written pages done.

Dad bought a new Lawn Boy mower today, so guess who had mow the lawn? You betcha, yours truly. That blew my afternoon.

It was a nice day, hitting around 90. Around 7, there was a mass T-storm, but it passed by pretty quick.

WAAF has got the US Festival from last year on at 10. Tonight was Quiet Riot, Ozzy and Motley Crue.

- The (heavy metal) Barbarian

Sunday, May 27, 1984

Song of the day: Voices - Russ Ballard

Whew! I finally did it! I finished the report! A little more than 3 typed pages long. I finished it around 9:40 p.m. It took me all day. I hope I get a good grade.

I got some new batteries for my Walkman so I can take it to school tomorrow.

- The Barbarian

Monday, May 28, 1984

Song of the day: Little Lady - Duke Jupiter

Top 5 at Five
1. Round and Round - Ratt
2. Bringin' on the Heartbreak - Def Leppard
3. My Oh My - Slade
4. The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking - Roger Waters
5. Big City Nights - Scorpions

Lousy weather, man. It rained all day. Just my luck, NH is the only state to not have a long weekend!

Jeremy invited me to a party [his girlfriend] is having on Saturday. I said sure and Mom should be no problem 'cause it's from 6-11 and Jeremy's mom will give me a ride there and back. He said [cute girl who supposedly liked me] was asking him to invite me (she'll be there), but I don't know if I believe him or not. We'll see.

I think [cute chick I previously liked] is going with [some other dude] now. After Algebra, she waited for him and he said something about calling her. Oh well. So much for that idea!

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, May 29, 1984

Song of the day: Blue Light - David Gilmour

Top 5 at Five
1. No Way Out - Jefferson Starship
2. Little Lady -  Duke Jupiter
3. Eyes Without a Face - Billy Idol
4. Magic - The Cars
5. Legs - ZZ Top

Even worse weather today. Rained hard all day. I got a 89 on a French quiz. Thank goodness tomorrow's a holiday. I need the rest! Actually, tomorrow's my job interview (I hope!). Man, I hope I get the job! I need it!


Mom said I could go to the party Saturday. For the SAT, I have to be at the high school (Exeter) before 8:30 A.M.! No Friday Night Videos! And they're having "Panama" by VH on that show. I'm gonna see if I can tape it.

[Classmate] got fired for not showing up at Yankee Bargain! Ha! He said he thought he had to work so he didn't show up. Makes sense, huh?

Hope I get the job!

- The Barbarian


Postscript: The job hunt was in full swing here. It was difficult to finance my swanky lifestyle (which admittedly was primarily buying vinyl and comic books) on the measly allowance I was getting from my parents. Especially with summer coming.

The SATs were coming up, but I didn't really get all worked up about them. No prep courses or anything like that. I like how it's all very nonchalant: "Oh BTW, the SATs are Saturday." My biggest concern was having to get up early on a Saturday...and missing Friday Night Videos. Life was rough, man.

"Blue Light" was quite the departure for David Gilmour, with horns and dancing and shit:



  
And I had forgotten all about this song from Russ Ballard, who was in the band Argent (of "Hold Your Head Up" fame) and wrote a ton of songs covered by other artists like "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" (KISS), "Winning" (Santana), "You Can Do Magic" (America) and "I Know There's Something Going On" (Frida). Definite AOR songsmith, but this song ain't bad:

  

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...