Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Life Sucks, Then You Die

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Thursday, May 17, 1984

Song of the day: Life Sucks, Then You Die - The Fools

Top 5 at Five
1. My Oh My - Slade
2. Blue Light - David Gilmour
3. Round and Round - Ratt
4. Legs - ZZ Top
5. Eyes Without a Face - Billy Idol

Today was somewhat better, but not much. I didn't even speak to [ex-gf] till after 5th period. I told her there were no hard feelings and I even had lunch with her. Oh well.

I was looser today. In 3rd period, me and some buddies were doing Eddie Murphy material all class. It was wild! Surprisingly, [teacher] didn't do anything.

I think I'm finally better from that stupid cold. I hope.

Edmonton was winning 6-2 at this time (11:20 p.m.) over the Isles in the 3rd period. If they win, it'll be 3-1! Go Oilers1

I better get some sleep. I need it.

Remember, "Life sucks, then you die."

I'm a survivor.

- The (lonely once again) Barbarian

Friday, May 18, 1984

Song of the day: Hey, Hey, What Can I Do? - Led Zeppelin

Top 5 at Five
1. My Oh My - Slade
2. Round and Round - Ratt
3. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
4. Drive - The Cars
5. Sister Christian - Night Ranger

Man, what a lousy week.

Today was alright. I got a 94 on that Geometry test. I think I did good on today's Bi Sci test.

I don't know what to do now. My life is a mess. Who knows when I'll find another girl. I'm trying to be optimistic, but it's hard for a guy like me, being "brown" and all. Dammit, [ex-gf] was perfect for me! Why'd she change her mind? Why?  

Guys like me and [a recently dumped buddy], we seem to get the bum rap all the time. It just ain't fair. 

- The (lonely) Barbarian

Saturday, May 19, 1984

PETE TOWNSHEND'S BIRTHDAY

Song of the day: A World of Fantasy - Triumph

They did it! Edmonton won the Stanley Cup! They beat the Isles, 5-2. Gretzky got 2 goals! Yaah! Way to go!

Otherwise, today was pretty boring. I got up at 10. We went to the Mall of New Hampshire for 2 hours. I didn't get anything. It was boring. We got home at 5 and then I got bored some more!

I am lonely. I guess I'm just strung out over [ex-gf]. I still think about her all the time. I just have lousy luck.

- The (bored and lonely) Barbarian

Sunday, May 20, 1984

Song of the day: Can't Stand Losing You - The Police

Today we went to the Methuen. First we went to Caldor, where I got 2 short sleeve shirts. Then we went to the mall, where I got that "No Bozos" jersey I've been wanting to get. Plus I picked up the new Guitar World with KK and Glenn from Judas Priest on the cover. Good deal.

That about sums it up.

- The Barbarian

Monday, May 21, 1984

Song of the day: You've Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest

Top 5 at Five
1. Run Runaway - Slade
2. Strung Out - Steve Perry
Missed the rest

For a Monday, today was pretty good. I got a positive reaction to my "No Bozos" shirt at school. [Ex-gf] wasn't at school today.  They're thinking of having Soph skip day on May 31st. No word on Junior skip day. I'm skipping on both days. I got an 88 on the Bi Sci test. Jeremy got back today from Washington (actually Sat.). After school, we decided to go job-hunting. I got the car and we went to a lumber place first. We were too young, so we went to Market Basket. Interviews are on Wednesday from 2-4! Kick! We went to Ames and filled out applications, and then we went to D'Angelo's but that job was post-11 p.m. We also checked out Pizza Hut before going home. Not bad. Hopefully we can both get jobs at the Bucket. That'd be great.

- The (job-hunting) Barbarian

Postscript: The post-breakup malaise continues. Jesus, what a puss. Thankfully, the moping will end soon.

The concept of "skip days" was a new one to me. Apparently, each class (except freshmen) would pick a date in the spring and then most of the kids would just not go to school, and nobody would get in trouble. Not sure why I thought I could go on both days, since I was a junior. Don't remember if there were any consequences, but I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Ah, the search for my first job. I had briefly done a paper route when I was in Washington state, but this would be my first real paying job. It's not revealing any secrets to anyone who's read this blog to say I was successful, but I'll hold off on where I landed the lucrative gig until it comes up. 

Slade had themselves quite the little resurgence in '84, although they weren't able to parlay it into much more. But I'm sure they enjoyed the royalties from Quiet Riot covering "Cum On Feel the Noize" and later "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" (good spellers they weren't). 


As for the Fools, they were a local novelty band that scored some FM radio hits in this area with a parody of the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" called "Psycho Chicken" and this little ditty, which fit my mood perfectly at the time:

 

No comments:

Day After Day #85: Gentlemen

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Gentlemen (1993) When the Afghan Whigs...