Friday, February 08, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Tied Up in Love

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Tuesday, February 7, 1984

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
3. Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
4. Send Me an Angel - Real Life
5. Tied Up in Love - Ted Nugent

They did it! Canada beat the US, 4-2, in the first hockey game of the Olympics! I saw it, sort of, because ABC edited the game so that only parts where goals were scored were shown. Well, at least Canada kicked butt! Go for it!

In Geometry, [dude] convinced [teacher] to let him sit in his regular seat. Thank goodness! All in all, a pretty uneventful day. Tomorrow's an early release day. We miss 1st and 2nd periods.
   
The U.S. pulled its troops out of Lebanon and onto the ships for now. I don't know if they'll be coming home, though.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, February 8, 1984

WAAF Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
3. New Moon on Monday - Duran Duran
4. Sister Christian - Night Ranger
5. Don't Say Goodnight - Jon Butcher Axis

The Leafs beat Boston 6-4! Talk about yer Miracle on Ice! Ricky Vaive got 2 goals (42 all together), plus Benning, Daoust, Derlago and Frycer scored. Allan Bester played awesome in goal! Yahoo!

I got 100 on yesterday's Geometry quiz. I had a test in Bi Sci and in French today, and I have one in Algebra tomorrow.

[Cute girl I like] wasn't at school today because she went skiing. Despite that, the day was alright. I did get put at a table in College Prep with [kid I apparently didn't like]. Ugh. Gimme a break. Well, at least [cute girl] sits with us, too.

Still waiting to get my papers back for my license.

- The (triumphant) Barbarian

Postscript: This was the first Winter Olympics since the U.S. shockingly won the gold in 1980, so I guess it was a big deal that Canada beat them. This was still the time when amateurs played, so Canada's best players were in the NHL. Also, I was still only a few years removed from living in Toronto, so I rooted for Canada big time. And the Leafs, although they didn't give me too much to cheer for in the '80s. Hmm, sounds familiar. Unlike now, when I can see every Leafs game thanks to the satellite package I have, back then I could only see Toronto play against the Bruins. I followed the highlights on ESPN and read the Globe sports section every day to get the latest info. I think there was a national game of the week on USA Network or ESPN back then that I occasionally watched, too.

I had forgotten about that Nugent song. Typical '80s hard rock wankery, although the video's funny in that only the Nuge gets any screen time. Not even the dude who sang the song is shown.

   

No comments:

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...