Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Born Again

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Saturday, February 11, 1984

I drove home from Market Basket today with Mom. I did pretty good.

Also, I got my first two issues of Guitar magazine in the mail. It kicks butt!!

The Leafs beat Quebec 5-2 today!

Well, that's about all that happened today.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, February 12, 1984

I drove to the dump to get rid of the trash. We went to the Methuen Mall from there and I got a pair of Levis and some brown cords. I also got 6 pairs of socks, a Black Sabbath "Born Again" jersey, the new Circus mag and Defenders of the Faith by Judas Priest. Not a bad haul, eh?



That's it.

- The (idle) Barbarian

Postscript: Yet another thrilling weekend for the kid. Jesus, how did I not die of boredom? Oh well, in about a year and a half, I'd be getting s-faced at college on the weekends. I suppose my liver thanks me for taking it easy during high school.

I've discussed that Sabbath shirt before, as well as the album Born Again, which I feel is an underrated (if poorly recorded) classic. And good lord, what an awful album cover. I don't know where I thought I could wear that shirt and get away with it. Certainly couldn't at home, and definitely couldn't at school. It's kinda like the Dinosaur Jr. shirt I bought at a show circa '93 that features an axe-wielding freak on the front and a dead cat on the back. Pretty cool shirt, though.



Don't think I've worn that (on the outside) anywhere in the last 20 years. Hmm...maybe I'll wear it to work tomorrow. Under a sweater.

  

No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #525: April 26, 2024

It's a big, bad world out there. For some, crime is a way of life. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs about crime in hour...