Monday, November 09, 2009

Radar Love





Life works in mysterious ways. Nearly three years ago, my pimp daddy Olds Ninety-Eight was taken off the road due to its decrepit condition, leaving me with no ride. I actually ran to work a couple of times and was considering buying a bike when we bit the bullet and bought a minivan, freeing up the Maxima for me to drive. Now, I still have the Maxima but we also have a third vehicle, a 1999 Ford Explorer, given to us by Deb's dad.

As I mentioned the other day, it's only got 53,000 miles on it and was kept in pretty immaculate condition. So far, I haven't had any problems with it (fingers crossed). The Maxima's got 128,000 and while it still runs okay, we've had to sink some serious cash into it recently for a new radiator and rear brake pads; the front ones will have to be replaced soon. And it's got some issues; water gets into the trunk, thanks to the car getting rear-ended about five years ago.

But for now, we figure we'll hold onto it in case anything goes wrong with the Explorer, which I'm driving every day. I'll drive the Maxima once or twice a week for the time being.

I have to get used to driving a larger vehicle, although driving the minivan on the weekends helps in that regard. The Explorer is actually a two-door (it's the Explorer Sport model), but there are two rows of seats and plenty of room in the back for storage. It drives pretty well, although in the few days I've driven it seems like it's more of a gas guzzler than the Maxima, which makes sense since it's a bigger vehicle.

As I mentioned the other day, there's no CD player, just a cassette deck. Which gives me an excuse to break out a bunch of my old tapes. Primarily, I'll listen to my iPod Nano via the cassette converter I was using in the Maxima. It's all good.

Oh, and there's the matter of getting the rearview mirror reattached. Just means I need to pay more attention when I'm backing out of spots, which is never a bad thing.

With any luck, this combination of cars will last us at least a couple more years. I'll celebrate with one of the best driving songs EVAH:




No comments:

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...