Monday, November 16, 2009

Sharp Dressed Man

There once was a time when I had a work wardrobe. Back when I worked at the newspaper from '89 to '95, I was required to look presentable: Dress shirt, tie, khakis or dress pants, good shoes. It wasn't a businessman's three-piece suit or anything, but when going to court or the mayor's office or interviewing someone for a story, you had to represent the paper well. I actually had a decent tie collection. I never particularly enjoyed wearing them, but I couldn't deny that they looked pretty cool. And I certainly understood having to look the part. No city official or cop is going to take you seriously if you're dressed like a slob.

Still, the second I got home from work, I changed into a t-shirt and shorts. Often, I would finish my reporting for the day, go home and have dinner and then go back into the office dressed down so I could write my stories. But when I finally ditched the reporting life for a gig at a publishing company, I was able to wear whatever I wanted to work (within reason). It was an office job, so I wouldn't be in front of the public on a daily basis. Occasionally, I would go to conferences and would show up in a tie and be the only person there who was that dressed up. But for the most part, it was t-shirt and shorts or jeans.

And for 14 years, that has continued to be my work attire. It's great. Every once in a while, I like to throw a little curveball and dress up a little, but for the most part, I go for comfortable. I like to break out old concert shirts, race t-shirts...let's just say I have a lot of t-shirts. I had a lot of free shirts from the old Webnoize days; still have some of those, but many have passed on.

Unless the temps dip below 45 degrees, I wear shorts. I like not having my wallet in my back pocket, so shorts are preferable for that reason alone. I've kind of become known as "the shorts guy"--to the point where if I wear pants on a particular, I get questions--but who cares, really? I spent enough hot summer days schlepping around to the courthouse in a non-air conditioned car, sweating through my dress shirt. I'll take comfort over style.

And I will admit that when my company used to have its annual holiday dinner (shelved because the economy the last few years), it was kind of cool to break out a suit and look good. We don't get invited to weddings anymore because everyone we hang with is married, so the only time I get to wear a suit anymore is to a funeral or a wake. Kinda depressing, really.

I do feel lucky to work in an field that allows such a relaxed dress code. And while I certainly can't rule out someday having a job that would require me to, you know, wear pants, I sincerely hope that never comes to pass.


2 comments:

d. brigham said...

A really good tune, but the beginning of the end for Gang of Four.

Jay said...

Yeah, I was amazed how much they looked like Spandau Ballet in that video.

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...