Sunday, May 18, 2008

Damn Good

'Tis truly amazing, the curative powers of a lazy Sunday afternoon. Today is Deb's birthday, so Hannah helped drag my butt out of bed so I could make pancakes for everyone. I had stayed up late loading a digital picture frame with photos for Deb. Right now, she's getting some sun in the backyard.

Yesterday, we went to a surprise 40th birthday bash for my buddy Mark Campbell, who provides some of the music I use in my podcast. Mark's part of a group of us who correspond daily on a e-mail ring we call The Daily Grind; I've been part of it for eight years, but it's been going on longer than that. Funny thing, until yesterday I hadn't met a couple of the guys in person, so it was cool to finally meet them. The girls had fun playing with the other kids there while we jibba-jabba'd with the adults. The joke is now we won't have anything to e-mail each other about for at least a week. Good times.

I took the weekend off from running, as much as I hate to do that. Toward the end of the week I was feeling my right Achilles pull a bit as I ran, which is never good. Doesn't hurt, but seems as though I haven't fully recovered from the marathon. So hopefully it'll feel a little better next week.

Bullet the blue sky:
  • Apparently a lot of Indian ex-pats are putting out murder hits on rivals and ex-lovers. And there's a increase in crack use there. So welcome to 1987, India.
  • As Sly Stallone continues to make cheesy sequels well into his 60s, it's easy to forget how good some of those early movies were. First Blood (aka the first Rambo flick) was a great movie, as is evidenced by this clip featuring a young David Caruso before he became known for dramatically removing his sunglasses.
  • Looking forward to watching game 5 of the Pittsburgh-Philly series today in about 45 minutes. The Penguins are up 3-1 and looking to finish off the Flyers and head to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in 16 years. Meanwhile, Dallas won yesterday to close that series to 3-2 in Detroit's favor.
  • The great public radio station KCRW has unveiled an interesting new show, featuring guest DJs such as Conan O'Brien and John Cusack. As with just about everything else on that station, it's worth checking out.

No comments:

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...