Part 2 of my conversation with special guest Christian Douglass as we discuss the challenges facing first-time authors. Listen to the show below or download it directly (right click and "save as").
- Is book audience dying off?
- There are still very successful books
- Plenty of small publishing houses out there
- Marketing is big
- Zach Galifianakis made a promo trailer for a book he liked
- The tale of the Honey Badger
- James Franco's grandmother
- Plenty of content out there
- Easier for music to break through than a novel
- Douglass points to educational system for lack of readers
- Many more distractions for consumers' free time
- Reading fiction is rewarding
- Authors turning novels into podcasts
- Learning about Charles Dickens
- Turning books into movies is difficult
- World According to Garp had to cut a lot of stuff out
- Cormac McCarthy's had a few books made into movies
- Bonehead of the Week
Pearl Jam - Ole
Los Campesinos - By Your Hand
Kurt Vile - The Creature
Charles Bradley - The World (Is Going Up in Flames)
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The show is sponsored by Budget, the country's premier car rental service with 900 locations. Go to Budget.com/CompCon and save 10% off any reservation or $30 off a weekly rental.
The Pearl Jam song is part of the band's 20th anniversary celebration. Find out more and download the song for free at PJ20.
The Los Campesinos song is on the album Hello Sadness on Wichita Recordings. Download the song for free at the band's website.
The Kurt Vile song is on the EP So Outta Reach on Matador Records, where you can download the song for free.
The Charles Bradley song is on the album No Time for Dreaming on Dunham Records. Find out more and download the song (in exchange for your email address) at his website.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blogs Clicky Clicky and Keeping Some Dark Secrets. Additional music used in the show is by Me and Boris the Bull, which is the brainchild of the mighty Mark Campbell. Thanks to Bob Durling for the album art; find out more about his photography at his blog. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian; check out his site PodGeek.
Completely Conspicuous is a Tan God Production. Word.