Part 1 of my conversation with special guest Christian Douglass as we discuss his recent trip to Alaska to research a book. Listen to the episode below or download it directly (right click and "save as").
- Douglass: One book written, researching the next one
- First book finished in June, sent out to reviewers
- Need to define characters clearly at the beginning
- Kumar: Challenging books are rewarding, but takes a while to get going
- Have to be in the right mood to dig into a complex John Irving novel
- Douglass: Second book digs into unsolved murder in the Alaskan bush
- Murder took place in indigenous Yupik village
- High rate of alcoholism
- Tough time selling the first book
- Village is in big fishing area
- Murder was pinned on an unlikely suspect
- Lots of heavy drinking
- Many holes in murder story
- Douglass posed as a writer for fishing magazine and lived with drug dealer
- Could be a "true crime" story, but Douglass will do fictionalized version
- Bonehead of the Week
Male Bonding - Tame the Sun
F***ed Up - The Other Shoe
The Moondoggies- It's a Shame, It's a Pity
Sloan - Losing California
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The show is sponsored by Eastbay/Footlocker.com. Use the following codes to get athletic gear from Nike, Adidas, Asics and more. AFCOMP15 will get you 10% off any order of $50 at Eastbay.com, AFCOMP20 will get you 15% off any order of $75 at Eastbay.com and AFCOMPFL will get you 10% off any order of $50 or more at Footlocker.com.
The Male Bonding song is on the album Endless Now on Sub Pop, where you can download the song for free.
The F***ed Up song is on the album David Comes to Life on Matador Records, where you can download the song for free.
The Moondoggies song is on the album Tidelands on Hardly Art Records. Download the song for free at the band's website.
The Sloan song is on Select Singles, '92-'11, courtesy of NoiseTrade. Download the 14-song sampler for free (in exchange for your email address) at NoiseTrade.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blogs Clicky Clicky and Keeping Some Dark Secrets. Additional music used in the show is by Me and Boris the Bull, which is the brainchild of the mighty Mark Campbell. Thanks to Bob Durling for the album art; find out more about his photography at his blog. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian; check out his site PodGeek.
Completely Conspicuous is a Tan God Production. Word.