Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mixology: Angry and Old--Briggy Turns 40

Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes (or CDs) I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.

Angry and Old: Briggy Turns 40 (4/4/05)

Two posts in one day and they're both about my buddy Dave Brigham. When he reads this in a month or so, he'll be flattered. I made this mix back in 2005 in honor of Briggy's 40th birthday. Dave's wife Beth threw a great party at their place, so I whipped this up as part of his gift. Being old and such, I've made a few such mixes in the last few years for friends of mine (as well as for my own 40th).

It helped that I was very familiar with Dave's musical likes from working side-by-side with him for a few years at the ol' Webnoize concern. Hence the robot references by GBV, Kraftwerk and Brainiac, as well as the tunes from At the Drive-In, Fu Manchu, Von Bondies and Bullet Lavolta. This was all stuff we were digging back in '99-'01.

Making mixes is always fun, but it's especially fun when you're making them for someone else. I know Briggy dug the CD and I like to pop it in the hi-fi from time to time because it kicks an appropriate amount of arse. Which is good when you've hit the big 4-0. No Seals & Crofts to be found on this compilation.

Happy Birthday to Me - Cracker

Birthday Cake - Cibo Matto

Old Man - Neil Young

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Devo

Gold Star for Robot Boy - Guided by Voices

The Robots - Kraftwerk

I am a Cracked Machine - Brainiac

Quatro Fromagii - Bea Arthur's Revenge

One Armed Scissor - At the Drive-In

Weird Beard - Fu Manchu

Freedom Rock - Frank Black

It Came from Japan - Von Bondies

Swan Dive - Bullet Lavolta

On a Rope - Rocket from the Crypt

Romantic Rights - Death from Above 1979

The Enthusiast - Mission of Burma




We are the robots:


Romantic Rights:

1 comment:

d. brigham said...

Hey, it didn't take me a month to discover the Dave Brigham two-fer! Thanks a million.

I am the robots!

Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026

By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...