Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We Gathered in Spring

Hola, rancheros. So we had fun at Deb's college reunion, although I was quickly reminded why I like sleeping in my own bed. We were in a third-floor dorm room that was hotter than hizznell, tiny and featuring two of those good old single cots with the wafer-thin mattresses. Hey, we're saving for Disney in a couple of weeks. Deb was worried not that many people from her class were going to show up, but there was a decent turnout. They had babysitting available, which was nice, although we were the only ones who used it Friday night. I knew some of Deb's friends who I met at the last reunion five years ago, so I wasn't totally clueless. But as I mentioned, I had a hard time sleeping because of the uncomfortable beds; guess my back was in a lot better condition back when I was in college.

Freshen your drink, Guvner?
  • Boy, I guess I was right about the Sopranos finale: Nobody could have predicted that ending. It really has divided fans, with many folks pretty pissed that they didn't get any closure. If you haven't seen it or read about it, well, you're doing a good job of avoiding all forms of information. With everyone expecting Tony Soprano to get whacked or have something major happen to him, the show puts him in a diner with his family. Tension builds as the camera cuts to any number of suspicious-looking characters who may or may not be assassins. As Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" blares on the jukebox, the show essentially just...ends. It literally cuts away to black, leaving you to wonder if Tony was about to get shot by the guy who went into the bathroom or if the family just kept on eating their onion rings. I thought it was brilliant, but plenty of people, including my lovely wife, were stunned by the lack of a set conclusion. Creator David Chase reportedly shot three endings so the cast wouldn't know which one he'd use and there has been endless conjecture on the InterWeb about what happened after the fade to black. Whatever the case, it was a ratings bonanza for the show, which was watched by more people than any major network show with the exception of the NBC crapfest "America's Got Talent." And that's not counting all the folks who TiVoed or otherwise recorded it; I usually TiVo it and watch it a few days later, but I had to watch it live so the ending wouldn't be ruined the next day. I'm sure glad I did. The guys from Journey are certainly psyched that their song was played at such a pivotal moment, not that they need the money. I plan on watching the finale again. Then I'll have to rent Season 1 on DVD and relive the glory days of one of the best shows in history.
  • The case of Judge Douchebag vs. the Dry Cleaner continues on. In today's installment, the judge cries over his lost pants. Unbelievable.

Stuck In Thee Garage #524: April 19, 2024

A wise man once said, "You might as well jump" and by gum, we believed him. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs abou...