Monday, May 28, 2007

On and On and On

Happy Memorial Day, peoples. Just enjoying some quiet time between whiny outbursts from my daughters. Other than a thunderstorm last night, we've had some great weather this weekend. I headed into the city early yesterday morning for the Boston's Run to Remember half marathon. I met up with my friends John and Kerry, who were also running. The race started at the World Trade Center in South Boston and weaved through the city onto Memorial Drive in Cambridge, where we ran along the Charles River. It was kind of cloudy and cool when I got there, but as the race started, the sun came out and warmed everything up. Still, it was never too hot. I felt pretty good and kept a sub-8 minute pace for the whole race, finishing in 1:41, a PR by two minutes from my previous best in New Hampshire last month. I had a shot at breaking 1:40, but at the end I kicked it in a little earlier than I should have and wasn't able to keep it up. Still, I was pretty happy with the finish.

I haven't officially signed up for a fall marathon yet, but I'm leaning towards the Maine Marathon in Portland, which I ran in 2002.

We spent the rest of the day having some friends over for a BBQ. I was so wiped by 8 p.m. that I ended up snoozing on the couch for about three hours. Ask my wife: I NEVER do that. It was a combination of the race, lack of sleep and several Harpoon Summers. More grillage today.

Want fries with that?
  • This kid bagged himself one big-ass hog: nine feet long and over 1,000 pounds. That's a lot of pork chops.
  • Starting in the fall, Kuwait is switching to a Friday-Saturday weekend, from it's current Thursday-Friday. I have to admit I had no idea that they had a different weekend. Of course, they've got so much oil over there they could probably afford to have a Wednesday through Sunday weekend.
  • The Stanley Cup finals between Ottawa and Anaheim finally starts tonight. Should be a good series, even if hardly anyone will be watching. I think the Ducks will take it in seven, but I wouldn't be shocked if Ottawa wins. Both teams are excellent.

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...