Thursday, March 14, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Top of the Rock

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Saturday, March 10, 1984

Song of the day: You Can't Kill Rock 'n Roll - Ozzy Osbourne

Good deal. Today before I went to the party, I was phoning WHEB's T-shirt Trivia. I almost won, but not quite.

The party was pretty good. Jeremy's uncle was pretty wild. He drives like a friggin' lunatic! Me, Jeremy, [a buddy], [his cousin and her friends were there]. [Her friend] is built! Wow! Their hot tub was awesome! It was 102 degrees, but it felt alright. We had Chinese food just before we left. Me and [buddy] both left at 11, Jeremy's uncle drove us home.

Later, man.

- The (Hot Tub) Barbarian

Sunday, March 11, 1984

Song of the day: Top of the Rock - HSAS

Pretty boring day. I drove Mom to the dump and back, did my homework, and vegged for the the rest of the day.

Heard the new song from Neal Schon and Sammy Hagar. Kicks butt!

- The Barbarian

Monday, March 12, 1984

Song of the day: Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin

Top 5 at Five
1. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
2. Panama - Van Halen
3. Against All Odds - Phil Collins
4. Rock You Like a Hurricane - The Scorpions
5. Runaway - Bon Jovi

I got moved again in Civics. Hosebag moved me to the front of the room (right in front of her!). Tomorrow I'm gonna sit in my old seat and see if she kicks me out.

I got a 75 on that Geometry test. I took the Algebra re-quiz, I think I should get something in the 80s. We get a chapter test in there tomorrow!

Remember that girl from Jeremy's party? Well, he says he might be going with her now. Last I talked to him (6:30 p.m.), he was waiting for her to call him with an answer. Hmm.

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, March 13, 1984

[CUTE GIRL I LIKE]'S BIRTHDAY
 
Song of the day: Lay It On the Line - Triumph

Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
3. Runaway - Bon Jovi
4. Footloose - Kenny Loggins
5. Murder - David Gilmour

Yeah, you read it right! Today is [cute girl I like]'s birthday (she's 16). I wished her a happy birthday and told her I would've given her a card if I knew about it. Happy birthday, babe.

Shoot! Jeremy's already going with [girl he likes], and he said he's gonna give her his class ring today! Man, that dude moves fast!

It's been snowing since 8 this morning and it's still going! I hope it stops so I can go to school tomorrow!

It's almost midnight so I better get to sleep! Pronto!

Hey, [cute girl I like], you're awesome!

- The (birthday) Barbarian

Wednesday, March 14, 1984

Song of the day: Where Eagles Dare - Iron Maiden

Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. Against All Odds - Phil Collins
3. New Moon on Monday - Duran Duran
4. Runaway - Bon Jovi
5. Rock You Like a Hurricane - The Scorpions

We got almost 2 feet of snow! Needless to say, school was cancelled today. After shoveling out the walkway at 9 a.m., I took an hour nap, and then started reading The Sword of Shannara, which I started on Sunday. I read up to page 680. Other than that I busted the lock on the back screen door and that was it.

Later,

The Barbarian

Postscript: Guess that girl I thought I was over wasn't totally out of my system. At least not yet, anyway. At least I wasn't making a complete fool of myself anymore.

Man, it's amazing how fast you can read without distractions. 680 pages in a couple of days? Damn. Now I struggle to read 50 pages in a week.

As for The Sword of Shannara, I was big into the fantasy stuff back then. I had already read all the Lord of the Rings stuff and this was along those same lines. You know, elves and dwarves and swords and shit. Between those books and comics, I was definitely into alternate realities.

Hagar Schon Aaronson and Shrieve. Jesus:

 

 
  

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...