Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Some Like It Hot

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Thursday, March 15, 1984

Song of the day: Little Guitars - Van Halen

Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. The Reflex - Duran Duran
3. Against All  Odds - Phil Collins
4. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
5. Drive - The Cars

Not a good. Just a day. I had a credit check first period. After this year, I'll have 19 credits! You need 20 to graduate! Yaah!

I got an A on that Civics report. Took the Algebra test and I either did real good or real bad. I'm hoping it's real good!

Jeremy's on cloud nine. He's telling everyone about [girlfriend] and showing 'em her picture. That dude is gone!

Later.

- The Barbarian  

Friday, March 16, 1984

Song of the day: Everybody Wants Some! - Van Halen

Top 5 at Five
1. Jump - Van Halen
2. Against All Odds - Phil Collins
3. Runaway - Bon Jovi
4. Rock You Like a Hurricane - The Scorpions
5. Magic - The Cars

Well, the day started off great. I got off the bus this morning and promptly fell on my ass! I slipped on a patch of ice and scraped my hand up. I hadda get a bandage from the nurse.

We had a Civics quiz and I only got 1 wrong. We got a new girl in our Geometry class. Her name's [redacted] and she's a wicked short sophomore. I got a 90 on that Algebra test! Actually I got 80 but she scaled it up 10 points.

I lost my "Piece of Mind" pin! Shit! I still think [a buddy] stole it in Bi-Sci, but he denied it! I hope it turns up on Monday. Dang it!



I also lost my allowance for 3 weeks! We were all watching TV and Dad, Mom and the Jerk were on the couch. I said, "3 fatsos on the couch" and Dad got pissed. I took me an hour to get my foot out of my mouth.

STRANGE DEPT.: [Female friend] told me this morning that I should ask [another girl] to the prom. Seriously, she said. Right.

- The Barbarian

Monday, March 19, 1984

Song of the day: Some Like It Hot - Coney Hatch

Top 5 at Five
1. Against All Odds - Phil Collins
2. Panama - Van Halen
3. Rock You Like a Hurricane - The Scorpions
4. The Runner - Manfred Mann
5. When the Lady Smiles - Golden Earring

Not a totally bad day. The weather was miserable, but hey. I slept through Civics because she was talking about Youth in Gov. all period. In Geometry, [teacher] yelled at me for being a wiseass. He usually doesn't; something musta been buggin' him today. Who cares!

In Algebra, I was talking to [cute girl I like] a lot (hubba hubba). Man! She's great!

[Different teacher] wasn't here today. Yaah!

When I got home, the plumbers were still working. After they left, they forgot to turn the hot water back on. Dorks!

Later.

- The Barbarian

Postscript: More winter drudgery. Not too different than the current winter drudgery we're going through. 

I remember losing that Piece of Mind pin. I ended up losing a couple of pins. Wonder if they were lost or stolen...not that I ever saw anybody else wearing them. 

Too funny about losing my allowance. I don't remember that at all. I don't doubt that I said it...although I was usually pretty careful about insulting my dad. His sense of humor was inconsistent, to say the least. I think my allowance was something like $5 a week, so it wasn't a huge loss. Although I didn't have any other revenue streams, so maybe it was.

Coney Hatch was a Canadian hard rock act I got into a few years earlier when I was living in Washington state and found their debut album, which was produced by Max Webster's Kim Mitchell. Just serviceable hard rock that I dug, although bassist Andy Curran had an interesting voice and wrote songs that were at least a little different, like the one below. The band's first two albums were decent, but after that, they tried to become Foreigner and bored me. They split up in the mid-80s and Curran went on to make a solo album or two.

 

No comments:

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...