Part 3 of my conversation with special guests Nick Lorenzen and Mike Piantigini as we discuss all things rock. Listen to the episode below or download it directly (right click and "save as").
The show notes:
- Biggest regrets of missed live bands
- Daltrey's voice lasted longer than many peers
- Jay drops a Frank Frazetta reference
- Sabbath reunion
- Does metal work if you're 60?
- Springsteen and Young are still going strong
- N-Lo doesn't dig latter-day Dylan
- Lorenzen: Waits is 100% relevant
- Robert Plant has aged well
- Mike defends The Who's continued existence
- Give the people what they want
- Literal cat fight
- McCartney won't stop
- The communal aspect of live music
- N-Lo pissed off The Moody Blues' fanbase
- How big is the relevance window?
- U2 won't go away
- Albums you would've liked to hear when they came out
- 1971 was a great year for rock
- Mike: The '80s killed music because of crappy production
- The sound doesn't hold up these days
- Subscription services aren't there yet
- No money in the music biz anymore
- Jonathan Coulton is doing it himself
- Licensing music to commercials or TV/movies is huge
- David Caruso is synonymous with "Won't Get Fooled Again" intro
- Bonehead of the Week
The King Khan Experience - Knock Me Off My Feet
Zeus - Are You Gonna Waste My Time?
Shearwater - You As You Were
Craig Finn - Honolulu Blues
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The show is sponsored by Eastbay/Footlocker.com. Use the following codes to get athletic gear from Nike, Adidas, Asics and more. AFCOMP15 will get you 10% off any order of $50 at Eastbay.com, AFCOMP20 will get you 15% off any order of $75 at Eastbay.com and AFCOMPFL will get you 10% off any order of $50 or more at Footlocker.com.
The King Khan Experience song is on the band's self-titled EP courtesy of Scion AV. You can download the entire album for free at Scion AV.
The Zeus song is on the album Busting Vision on Arts and Crafts. Download the song for free (in exchange for your email address) at The Music of Zeus.
The Shearwater song is on the album Animal Joy on Sub Pop. Download the song for free at Stereogum.
The Craig Finn song is on the album Clear Heart, Full Eyes on Vagrant Records. Download the song for free at WXRT.com.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blogs Clicky Clicky and Keeping Some Dark Secrets. Thanks to Bob Durling for the album art; find out more about his photography at his blog. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian; check out his site PodGeek.
Completely Conspicuous is a Tan God Production. Word.