Part 1 of my conversation with special guests Nick Lorenzen and Mike Piantigini as we discuss the impending death of the CD. Listen to the episode below or download it directly (right click and "save as").
The show notes:
- Mike hosts Clicky Clicky Radio on Boston Free Radio every Thursday
- Physical media is disappearing from store shelves
- Rarely buy CDs anymore
- Digital music sales overtook CD sales in 2011
- Minor resurgence in vinyl
- Listening to music has become "a solitary engagement"
- It's rare to listen to music now without doing anything else
- Many more distractions while watching movies or TV
- Glut of media; so many more albums available now
- N-Lo is no Geddy Lee
- With digital music, it's rare you get liner notes
- Looking back at metal mags of the '80s: Hit Parader, Circus
- Labels are trying to cash in with reissues and box sets
- Pink Floyd box sets come with plenty of extras
- Mike is miffed at the Quadrophenia box set
- Pete Townshend loves a narrative
- Mike: The Who's Endless Wire is pretty good
- N-Lo's not a big fan of rock stars with hankies
- Mike: CD's not dead yet, but it's close
- N-Lo remembers his Discman fondly
- Reissuing albums a year after the original comes out
- In the '90s, we'd go digging for singles with bonus tracks
- The Columbia House Record Club: 12 for a penny
- Packaging and pressing quality sucked for record club albums
- Next episode: We complain about Ticketmaster
- Bonehead of the Week
The Kominas - Doomsday
PJ Harvey - The Last Living Rose
Le Butcherettes - New York
Mclusky - To Hell With Good Intentions
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The show is sponsored by Eastbay/Footlocker.com. Use the following codes to get athletic gear from Nike, Adidas, Asics and more. AFCOMP15 will get you 10% off any order of $50 at Eastbay.com, AFCOMP20 will get you 15% off any order of $75 at Eastbay.com and AFCOMPFL will get you 10% off any order of $50 or more at Footlocker.com.
The Kominas song is on the band's self-released, self-titled album. You can downlaod the entire album for free at TheKominas.com.
The PJ Harvey song is on the album Let England Shake on Vagrant Records. Download the song for free at Epitonic.
The Le Butcherettes song is on the album Sin Sin Sin on Rodriguez Lopez Productions. Download the song for free at Epitonic.
The Mclusky song is on the album Mclusky Do Dallas on Too Pure Records. Download the song for free at Epitonic.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blogs Clicky Clicky and Keeping Some Dark Secrets. Thanks to Bob Durling for the album art; find out more about his photography at his blog. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian; check out his site PodGeek.
Completely Conspicuous is a Tan God Production. Word.