Saturday, July 16, 2011

When In Rome

I'm writing this from a place I haven't been in 28 years: Seattle. We never actually lived in the city--instead three hours away in a city called Richland--but I've always felt an affinity for Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. Had we not moved to New Hampshire after my sophomore year of high school, I probably would have attended college in the Seattle area.

So it's cool to finally be back, if only for a few days for a work conference. I flew out a day early so I could see some sights that I haven't seen in many moons and to see some friends. Tomorrow I'm going to the Mariners-Rangers game and then getting together with one of my best friends from my Richland days. Should be fun. Monday and Tuesday I'm working all day but hope to do some fun stuff in the evenings, and then Wednesday it's back to New England.

One thing that didn't change is the weather; it was cool and cloudy when I flew in, but the sun has actually poked its head out, believe it or not.

After I got to my downtown hotel, my room wasn't ready so I walked the mile or so to the convention center to set up my company's exhibit booth. I had forgotten how hilly it is around here, similar to San Francisco. I'm going to go for a run in the morning, but along the waterfront where it's fairly flat (I think). Tonight I'm going to the legendary Pike Place Market and then the Experience Music Project, Paul Allen's monumental rock music museum.

The few times I came here in the past I was with my parents, so this should provide a much different perspective on the city at the very least. It's a quick trip, but I plan to make the most of it.

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...