Sunday, June 27, 2010

So Fast, So Numb

We're in the dog days of summer, so naturally, it's time for me to start training for another marathon. After the overheated disaster that was my effort in the Providence Marathon in May, I begin another 16 weeks of training for the Baystate Marathon in Lowell on October 17. But this time around, I'm trying something different.

For the last four years, I've been using the Furman FIRST training method, which advocates only three runs per week plus cross-training. The idea is you reduce the wear and tear on your body while focusing your runs: One day is speedwork, the next a tempo run and then a long run on the weekend. You ended up running a lot more long run mileage, but I liked the specialization of the runs. Doing speedwork definitely helped me improve my times in Chicago in 2006 (3:54), Baystate in '07 (3:46), New Jersey in '08 (3:43), Philly in '08 (3:52) and Boston in '09 (3:57). I felt in pretty good shape last month in Providence, but there was nothing to do about the heat (4:31, my second-worst marathon time ever).

Still, going into this next four-month stretch of training, I wasn't looking forward to those grueling long runs in the summer heat (they build up pretty quickly from 13 to 15, 17, 20, 18, 20, etc.). So when I read in the latest Runner's World about a plan designed to help runners break certain goals, I immediately became interested. There was more running during the week; two days of rest (which I'll use for cross-training with weights), three days of easy runs, one day of hill or tempo work and a long run. The long runs start at 9 miles and gradually build up to 22.

After thinking it over and checking out some other plans, I decided to try the RW plan with some adjustments for pace times and scheduled races (including The Salem Half and Reach the Beach in September).

I've been struggling in the last few weeks with tightness in my right leg, so I'm not sure how running more times per week will affect that. Hopefully I can do more stretching and things will work out okay. I felt pretty good Friday night when I did the Danvers Kiwanis 5-miler, but struggled in the heat today on an 8-miler.

Ultimately, I needed to shake things up because I was getting bored with doing the same old training plan. The start of this training plan actually coincides with another shakeup for me: I left my gym in Marblehead after they announced they were jacking up the rates starting in July. I got back on our family YMCA membership and will be working out during the week at the Marblehead Y and on the weekends at the Beverly Y, when needed. It's going to be a little more challenging because I'll have to drive across town instead of just walking next door, but I'll manage. Less socializing and quicker workouts.

Here's hoping it all goes swimmingly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jay! Since you're trying something new anyway, why don't you also check out the Break Your PR plan over at http://www.marathondominator.com? It's really good and might help you a lot. Good luck on your training!

Day After Day #84: Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Can't You Hear Me Knocking (1971) ...