Saturday, April 19, 2008

One Reporter's Opinion

Gotta love a lazy Saturday morning. So Deb arrived in Costa Rica Thursday night with another teacher and a group of 14 students; they're going to be doing biology stuff there all next week and getting back next Sunday. I talked to her Thursday during her stopover in Miami, but I won't hear from her until she gets back. The girls haven't been pining for her yet, but I expect they will at some point, probably in a few days. My sister-in-law Tricia and her boys are driving up this afternoon from NJ and staying until Tuesday, so that'll be a good distraction for the girls. Next week, I'm only taking two days off from work; Deb's mom will be taking care of the girls the other days.

Marathon update: I got a massage Monday and while being really painful, I think it helped. The therapist said my left leg was definitely tighter than my right, starting with the glute. I didn't run until yesterday, when I finally got to get outside and enjoy some of the sweet weather we've been getting. Did a 5-miler at an 8-minute pace and felt good. No tightness or pain. I'm going to try and get in a run of around 10 tomorrow and see how it feels.

Boston Marathon fever has hit the city with the race on Monday. Looks like the weather may be just right for running: Dry, temps in the mid-50s. Best of luck to my training partner Molly, Jon and Kerry, Steve Runner, and all the Striders who are running. It's funny, a lot of people just assumed I was running Boston because of all the training I've been doing.

Bulleted list of items:
  • What would music writers do without subjective lists of best and worst whatevers? Here's another one guaranteed to annoy and provoke: Terrible songs on great albums. Some of the choices are absolutely asinine, but the writer accomplishes his goal. And the debate continues here. Me, I think "No Quarter" is an awesome song.
  • Happy 45th to Conan O'Brien, who continues to kick butt.
  • Speaking of birthdays, happy 20th to Sub Pop, which also continues to kick the arse. The Green River performance alone will make the planned festival worthwhile. For those of you unfamiliar with the band, it featured Mark Arm and Steve Turner of Mudhoney, and Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam.
  • Yo, check out my Muxtape.

No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...