Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Don't Worry About the Government

Happy April Fool's Day! Actually, it was pretty lame as far as pranks go at my office. I remember when I would be totally suspicious of everyone and everything on April 1, especially when I had roommates. But I was so busy today I didn't even think about it.

On Sunday, I ran the Eastern States 20-Miler with Molly. It was an all-day event, as we had to get up to Hampton Beach by 8:15 and catch a bus up to the race start in Kittery, where we had to wait until the race actually began at 11. We met my friends Jon and Kerry and their friend Pam and piled onto a school bus, which ended up driving all over Kittery because the driver couldn't find the street he needed. Eventually, we got there and then had to debate over whether to wear shorts or pants. It was in the 20s when we left Beverly but it was supposed to get into the 40s with no wind by midday, so I opted for shorts. It was a good move and a great run. The weather was perfect and the scenery along the coastline was beautiful. (We actually ran right by the spot on Rye Beach where 12 years earlier--the actual anniversary was yesterday--I, my mother and my brother scattered my dad's ashes.) We finished the race in 3:02; Jon ended up finishing 14th overall (!) in 2:10 and Kerry and Pam finished 2nd and 3rd in their age category with 2:26 times. For most of the folks running, it was their last real long run before Boston; for me, I've got another two weeks of 15 and 20 miles before I begin my taper. I was a little hobbled yesterday, but none the worse for wear.

Tonight, Deb and I spent a couple of hours at a School Committee meeting, which was packed with about 500 pissed off parents voicing their displeasure over the plan to close two elementary schools next fall. There's a move afoot to have a special election to vote on whether to pass a Proposition 2 1/2 override, which would raise the $2.5 million needed to keep the schools open. Whether the general populace votes for it is another matter; it's never easy to convince people to raise their taxes, no matter how good the cause.

It being April 1, I signed up for Script Frenzy, so we'll see if I have better luck meeting this goal than I did with NaNoWriMo. The way I see it, it's another way to do some creative writing that nobody but me will ever lay eyes on.

No comments:

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...