Sunday, January 23, 2005

Hazy Shade of Winter

The meteorologists actually got one right: We got downright walloped by the storm that hit last night. Well over 2 feet of snow dropped on our neighborhood, compounded by powerful winds that left some ridiculously large snow drifts. I spent a good chunk of the day shoveling. Deb already has tomorrow off as most school districts cancelled school this morning. I haven't heard whether our office is closed; I guess the governor wants businesses to shut down to give the plow drivers more of a chance to clear the roads. We'll see.

The Patriots stomped the Steelers tonight, 41-27, exacting revenge for their loss to Pittsburgh on Halloween and advancing to the Super Bowl to play the Philadelphia Eagles. The Pats are shooting for their third Super Bowl win in four years and I'd be shocked if they didn't get it.

Sad news today: Late night legend Johnny Carson died at the age of 79 of emphysema. I got into the Tonight Show as a young kid, watching along with my dad on Friday nights. Carson's dry, self-deprecating wit was always just right, it seemed. Although I later became a huge fan of the sarcastic likes of Letterman and Conan O'Brien, Johnny was always a class act in my book.

I don't know how folks in the Christian Right expect themselves to be taken seriously when they keep doing stupid stuff like this.

No comments:

Day After Day #75: Word Up!

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Word Up! (1986) When you watch old music...