Saturday, March 09, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Party On

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Tuesday, March 6, 1984

Song of the day: Tom Sawyer - Rush

Top 5 at Five
1. I'll Wait - Van Halen
2. Heaven - Bryan Adams
3. Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions
4. Eat It - Weird Al
5. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue

Today was alright, I guess. I was sitting in [cute girl's] desk  in Civics and alluva sudden [teacher] starts yelling and moves me to the front. I wasn't even talking! What a hosebag!

Not much else happened today that I can think of. I was talking to [cute girl I asked to prom] again. For a while there, it seemed like she wasn't talking to me but I think I just overreacted as usual. Man, she's nice!

I talked to Mom on the phone and she said I could go to the party. I hope Jeremy can talk [cute girls] into going!

Later.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, March 7, 1984

Song of the day: Heading Out to the Highway - Judas Priest

Top 5 at Five
1. All Lovers are Deranged - David Gilmour
2. Jump - Van Halen
3. Eat It - Weird Al
4. Walking in My Sleep - Roger Daltrey  
5. Heaven - Bryan Adams

So-so day. [Teacher] bitched at me for no reason again. She'd better cut it out before I say something I might regret later! I think I bombed my Alg II quiz today (at least the last part, anyways). Got a Geometry quiz tomorrow.

Mom started asking me about the party on Saturday. She looked surprised when I told her there would be girls there. I told her that just his cousin would be there, not anyone from school. Then she warned me of the dangers of getting herpes and AIDS! Right. Come on, Mom, get real!

- The Barbarian

Thursday, March 8, 1984

Song of the day: Highway Star - Deep Purple

Top 5 at Five
1. Hot for Teacher - Van Halen
2. Heaven - Bryan Adams
3. Footloose - Kenny Loggins
4. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
5. 68 Guns - The Alarm

Didn't take that Geometry test today because [teacher] wasted too much time. He got some chalk on his nose and we were ragging on my wicked bad! I kept sniffling real loud, and I kept on getting Kleenex! It was a riot!

Mom passed out this morning while on the toilet (no lie!). As a result, she stayed home and was pretty wiped out. We still don't know what's wrong with her!

Jeremy told me that Fotomat screwed up his film that he sent to be developed! All those pictures gone! I'm wicked pissed!

They say we're gonna get a heap 'a snow tonight. I hope we don't get much. I hope school doesn't get cancelled! I'd die of boredom here at home!

- The Barbarian

Friday, March 9, 1984

Song of the day: Freewill - Rush

Top 5 at Five
1. In the Beginning/Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
2. Panama - Van Halen
3. Heaven - Bryan Adams
4. Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions
5. Runaway - Bon Jovi

Hmm. All we got was 1 inch of snow so school was on today. However, it was colder than shit, too! I froze my buns off! Brr!

[Girl's] mom was guest speaker in Civics today. She was talking about Women's Week. Big deal. We finally took that Geometry test. I think I did good.

After school I went with Mom to PGA and I saw [classmate] (who works there) and [another classmate].

I can't wait till tomorrow night.

- The Barbarian

 Postscript: Excitement was building throughout this week for my buddy's party. I didn't get to go to many social events outside of school, so this was huge for me. I was talking to some high school buddies of mine last year and they were talking about the massive amount of partying they did. I had no clue. You can see how overprotective my mom was. It was like living in a bubble at times. Although I suppose my liver thanks her for that today. Still, I made up for lost time when I got to college.

Historically, I never had problems with behavior in school until I got to New Hampshire. Then I started amping up the wiseass factor in class to impress the other kids. So even though some teachers are portrayed here as hassling me for no reason, I'm sure I was being a total pain in the ass. 

Funny, when this Alarm song first hit the radio, it reminded me of a more radical U2, especially with the crazy hair. Turns out they weren't very radical at all, but I still dug the hell out of this song.

 

No comments:

Day After Day #120: She Says What She Means

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). She Says What She Means (1998) If a band...