Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Forget That You're Young

Oh, hi there. It's been a while. I always get great ideas for posts and then I see a shiny object and suddenly, it's two weeks later. I've definitely been meaning to write a post about the great European vacation we took this summer, but wanted to get some photos ready and then...you know. Anyhoo, there I was today minding my own business and sifting through the mail when I saw something addressed to me that said it had a card enclosed. Figuring it was some sort of credit card offer, I opened it out of curiosity and pulled out this abomination:


The dreaded AARP card! It didn't come out of the blue. I'm three weeks away from the big 5-0 and I knew someday they'd start hitting me up to join. Still, it was a bit jarring to hold it in my hand. I mean, I'm not looking for senior discounts just yet. I know life is flying by as I see my girls get older and I notice my body getting creakier. But that doesn't mean I'm giving in to age just yet. I'm still running and working out and playing hockey and listening to the rock music and doing all the other stuff I've been doing for the last few decades. I don't need to certify my geezerdom by joining an association, especially one that my mom is an active member of.

And besides, I've got three whole weeks of my 40s left. Back off, oldsters! I've gotta live my life, which means doing stuff that those AARP buzzards wouldn't dream of, like cliff diving and mountain climbing and running with the bulls. But first, I need to get some sleep. Yeah.


No comments:

Day After Day #113: Sunless Saturday

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Sunless Saturday (1991) It's never b...