Saturday, December 21, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Santa Claus and His Old Lady

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Friday, December 7, 1984

Song of the day: MLK - U2

Top 5 at Five
1. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
2. Do It Again - The Kinks
3. The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty
4. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
5. Don't Worry Baby - Los Lobos

Today was alright. I got a camera today in Field Biology. In Adv Math I did alright on that quiz. I think I got an 80. I hope I got an A on the Psych test.

Me, [buddy] and Jeremy are probably going to that comic shop in Salem tomorrow. Jeremy's gonna call me tomorrow morning to let me know.

I finished reading those comics Jeremy lent me.

- The Barbarian

Saturday, December 8, 1984

Song of the day: I Don't Care - Airrace

I was awakened at 9:30 by the phone ringing. But by the time I got to it, the caller hung up. I called Jeremy and it was him. He asked me if I could be ready to go to the store by 10:30. I got ready and Mom pulled in at the same time he did. I got $10 for allowance plus about $6 in change. The place is called Chris' Baseball Cards and Comics. It's cool. I bought 10 comics - $8.75 worth. They've got comic boxes there--I'm gonna get some.

I got home at 12:30. Mom and JP went shopping and didn't get home till 4:30.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, December 9, 1984

Song of the day: Billy's Got a Gun - Def Leppard

Went to church. I bought THING #19 and 20 at Westville after I dumped the garbage. The rest of the day was wasted getting a Christmas tree and decorating the yard.

- The Barbarian

Monday, December 10, 1984

Song of the day: Fly By Night - Rush

This cold I have sucks. I was sniffling all day. Other than that, though, it was a pretty good day. I got an 80 on that Adv Math quiz and a 95 on the Psych test.

[Cute chick who works at Market Basket] gave me a note from [girl I made out with]. At first I was scared that she wanted to get serious or something. I was relieved to read that she just wanted me to come by the store and see her. Phew!

Also the rumor is confirmed. [A buddy of mine] has broken up with [his girlfriend]. Great! She's hot! Who knows? We'll see...

There was a 3-car accident in front of our house today. I saw it.

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, December 11, 1984

Song of the day: Reaction to Action - Foreigner

Top 5 at Five
1. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
2. Reaction to Action - Foreigner
3. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
4. Naughty Naughty - John Parr
5. Do It Again - The Kinks

First period I went to the Computer room to work on my program and see [hot chick who just broke up with her boyfriend]. I told her what he said and she said she's planning some sweet revenge. I wished her good luck. Well, well...

Today was pretty good, too. We took a quiz in Adv Math and I think I got 100 on it. I hope so. That should eliminate the chances for a warning. I hope.

I got all my applications finally completed! I just have to get the checks from Dad and I can hand 'em over to Guidance.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, December 12, 1984

Song of the day: Father Christmas - The Kinks

Top 5 at Five
 1. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
2. The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty
3. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
4. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
5. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple

Wow, man, 3 in a row! Good day. I talked with [hot chick] again first period. She's hot! Second period I took my applications to the Guidance office, filled out the checks and gave it all to the secretary. I didn't turn in my UNH one because I have to get it notarized. I hope can get into Yale! Wish me luck!

That financial aid meeting was at 9:30 so I got to miss 3rd and 4th periods. Actually we got out at 10:50 but I went to the cafe, had something to eat and then went to Adv Math. I got a 90 on that quiz. Yaah! A lot of people did lousy so they're having a retake tomorrow. Maybe I can get a 100!

Went to church at 3:30. [Reverend] says we're gonna see the Bishop on Friday right after school.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, December 13, 1984

Song of the day: The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty

Top 5 at Five
1. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
2. The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty
3. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
4. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
5. Do It Again - The Kinks

Good day. I got the beginning of my program to work, sort of. I hope I did good on the Field Bio test. I got 100 on the Adv Math retake! Good! That should hold off a warning. We have a test soon.

Jeremy ran out of gas on his way home from track. He managed to coast right into our driveway. Ha!

I got ROM 64 from Westville.

- The Barbarian

Friday, December 14, 1984

Song of the day: Stranger in a Strange Land - Triumph

Good week. I had an essay test in Psych and a quiz in Computers. I hope I got A's on 'em.

After school. [the Reverend] picked us up and we went to Concord. Both me and JP fell asleep on the way. The Bishop was pretty cool. He gave us Pepsi and cookies and we talked for a while. Then we looked around the place and left at 5:10 or so. We got home at 6:15 and JP went to his dance. Me, I'm gonna relax.

A Triumph concert in Providence was announced. It's on January 11 and tickets go on sale Monday.

- The Barbarian

Saturday, December 15, 1984

Song of the day: Follow Your Heart - Triumph

I got up at 9:30. It snowed so me and Mike couldn't go to Salem. Crap. Later me and Mom went to Methuen Mall. I got Mom these Chinese trays and Ad some cologne. I bought some comics and the new Circus. We got home around 5.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, December 16, 1984

Song of the day: Rockin' at Midnight - The Honeydrippers

We slept in this morning till 10. At 1, me, Mom and JP went to the Mall of NH. Man, was it crowded! I bought JP U2's Boy tape. He got me Gary Moore's Corridors of Power. We got home at 6.

- The Barbarian

Monday, December 17, 1984

Song of the day: The Price - Twisted Sister

Top 5 at Five
1. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
2. The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty
3. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
4. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
5. Naughty Naughty - John Parr

Good day! I got an 88 on that Field Bio test and a 99 on that Computers quiz! [Cute chick in Computers] likes me. A lot. I think. Who knows?

We finally got new stuff in the jukebox. "Round and Round," "Hot for Teacher," "Panama," "I Will Follow," "2 Hearts Beat as 1," and lots more! Awesome!

- The Barbarian   

Tuesday, December 18, 1984

Song of the day: Tooth and Nail - Dokken

Top 5 at Five
1. Father Christmas - The Kinks
2. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
3. Reaction to Action - Foreigner
4. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
5. I'm Leaving You - Scorpions

Good day, I hope. I took just about all of my pictures today. I took that Adv Math test. I hope I did good. I need an A!

I also finished my program in Computers. [Cute chick in Computers] has been wicked nice. What a babe!

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, December 19, 1984

Song of the day: The 12 Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie

Top 5 at Five
1. The 12 Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie
2. Father Christmas - The Kinks
3. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
4. Naughty Naughty - John Parr
5. Rock Out, Roll On - Triumph

I got an 80 on that dumb Adv Math test. Stupid mistakes! I got an A on those Psych essays and an A on my program.

It's late.

[Family friends from Toronto] got here alright.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, December 20, 1984

Song of the day: Eye on You - Billy Squier

Top 5 at Five
1. So This is Christmas - John Lennon
2. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
3. Naughty Naughty - John Parr
4. Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You - Billy Squier
5. missed it

I didn't do much of anything at school today. It was pretty much a waste.

[Two hot girls] gave me cards.

- The Barbarian

Friday, December 21, 1984

Song of the day: Santa Claus and His Old Lady - Cheech & Chong

Top 5 at Five
1. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
2. Santa Claus and His Old Lady - Cheech & Chong
3. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
4. Naughty Naughty - John Parr
5. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen

First day of winter, man.

[Buddy] gave me a ride to school. [Girl in my class] gave me that Ratt tape. [Two other girls] gave me Christmas cards. [Buddy] left without me. I bummed a ride home off [another girl]. Jeremy called me and we went to Chris' Comic Shop in Salem. I got a bunch of new comics and joined their subscription service. They hold all the titles I want for me and I get discounts on stuff, free bags, Marvel Age and more. It's awesome.

At 6, we went to see Beverly Hills Cop. Funny! That movie is awesome! Kicks butt!

- The Barbarian

Postscript: The year is winding down. This entry closed with the last day of school before the Christmas break. My grades were improving, which was good. Still no progress on the girl front, but at least I wasn't so desperate about it. Although I'm not proud of talking smack behind my buddy's back to his ex. At least I didn't ask her out. Nothing happened with the other girl I liked from the Computers class. 

Chris' Comics was a cool store. I was a customer there right through college. I would come home once a month and pick up a month's worth of comics and leave them at home, because I didn't want my roommates seeing me read comics. Probably didn't get to read too many of them during the school year. Finally when I moved down to Massachusetts after college, I closed my "account" and basically just stopped buying comics. Things were getting pretty crazy in the late '80s in terms of certain titles coming out twice a month and all sorts of new titles based around the X-Men and Spider-Man. It was ridiculous and a good time to get out.

Ten days left...



No comments:

Day After Day #75: Word Up!

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Word Up! (1986) When you watch old music...