Friday, December 06, 2013

Through the Past Dorkily: Do It Again

Editor's note: Through the Past Dorkily is a recurring feature that looks back at the embarrassingly dorky diary I kept as a 16-year-old in 1984.

Sunday, November 18, 1984

Song of the day: The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

I went to church. [A couple of friends] were there.

Later on we went to Methuen Mall. I didn't buy anything.

Heavy Metal from Hell was awesome tonight! Bruce Dickinson was at WBCN and he played some of his fave tunes. He also announced a new tour date. Get ready. Maiden and Sister at the Centrum on Jan. 23! Awesome! Too bad I can't go.

- The Barbarian

Monday, November 19, 1984

Song of the day: School - Supertramp

Top 5 at Five
1. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
2. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
3. Into the Fire - Dokken
4. Call to the Heart - Giuffria
5. Not Such a Bad Boy - Paul McCartney

Today was alright. Not much happened in school. I finally understand domain and range, and it's a good thing because we have a test in Adv Math tomorrow.

I bought my senior t-shirt, didn't like it and then sold it to [a buddy].

I got Holy Diver and Balls to the Wall today.

My contacts should be in tomorrow.

I had to pick Dad's car up from the gas station. I took it to the Post Office to get my stuff.

The financial aid workshop was boring. We left early. They talked to [one of my teachers]. He said I was a lazy bum. They didn't talk to anyone else.

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, November 20, 1984

Song of the day: Stand Up and Shout - Dio

Top 5 at Five
1. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
2. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
3. Tender Years - John Cafferty and Beaver Brown
4. Spellbound - Triumph
5. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner

I handed in my camera obscura today.

[Cute girl] got a rose in her locker this morning from a secret admirer (actually, it was [redacted]). I don't think she really likes him.

I blew 2 questions on the Adv Math test. I think I did good on the Computers quiz.

I got [buddy] to give me a ride to [optometrist] after school. He wasn't there, so I hadda go home. I called the Plaistow office and they had the lenses in. I went and got it at 6:30.

I finished reading White Gold Wielder just before I went to bed.

Everything's ready. Sammy's at the kennel. Let's roll!

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, November 21, 1984

Song of the day: All We Are - Kim Mitchell

We left home at 7:15. It was nice and sunny out. I won't bore you with driving details. I drove about 100 miles. We got there at 6:30.

We had dinner and went to bed. Q107 is now the best rock station in Toronto. Chum FM plays crap like Tina Turner, Prince and Cyndi Lauper along with rock. We listened to WOUR 96.9 Utica/Rome NY for a lot of the way.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, November 22, 1984

Song of the day: Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' -  Helix

Today Dad dropped Mom, me and JP off at the Eaton Centre. First we got our money changed at the bank. I got $40. I went to Music World and found the new Triumph album, Thunder Seven there! Awesome! I bought it along with Kim Mitchell's Akimbo Alogo. I also picked up the new Guitar World with Jeff Beck on the cover and the second issue of Metallion magazine.

Mom met [old friends] and we all had lunch at Mr. Greenjeans. I wanted to go shopping in the streets but Mom wanted to go home.

We went to [family friends'] house. They had a new dog that they were mistreating. It's a cocker spaniel. Cute.

- The Barbarian

P.S. Oh yeah, JP bought me a new pair of headphones.

Friday, November 23, 1984

Song of the day: That's a Man - Kim Mitchell.


Today kinda sucked. Mom dropped me and JP off at Scarborough Town Centre. I bought Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers and Helix's Walkin' the Razor's Edge. I also got 2 books, The Game by Ken Dryden and an NHL guide to the 1984-85 season. Then we had to wait 2 hours for Mom to come because something was wrong with the car. Anyhoo, we finally got home.

Later on, [family friends] came over for dinner. Fun stuff.

- The Barbarian

Saturday, November 24, 1984

Song of the day: Rock Out, Roll On - Triumph 

Busy day. First we went to Scarborough to have breakfast at [redacted]'s house. [The son] is now 5 foot 8, has glasses and braces and is not hyper anymore. [His sister] is the same (height, attitude, etc.). [The father] was looking well. They're gonna buy a $200,000 house.

Then went to [redacted]'s house. [Older son] is 8 now. He's got a little brother, who's 1 1/2 years old. Cute little bugger.

Next was [redacted]'s house. We had dinner and then had to stay over because they asked. I had no toothbrush or new clothes or anything. Oh well.

While at the Morningside Mall with Mom and [redacted] earlier, I bought Vices by Kick Axe.

[Redacted]'s skinnier, [her brother]'s still a little kook. He's collecting comics now.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, November 25, 1984

Song of the day: Lager and Ale - Kim Mitchell

We got up at 10, had breakfast and then met Mom and Dad at [redacted]'s house. We were there for a while. [Daughter]'s all grown up now. She doesn't talk as much as before. Then Dad dropped me off at Pickering. I went in the building and was waiting for [an old buddy] when I met [a kid I knew from elementary school]. He was pretty friendly. He was in a hurry but he asked me to give [my buddy] my address so he could write me a letter. Wow. [Buddy] cane down and we went to the flea market. He still looks the same. We talked about just about everything. We went to the new sports complex and hung out there. It's awesome. It's got a hockey rink, swimming pool and more. We met [two other old buddies of mine] who were skating there. We all talked for a while. Then me and [first buddy] went to the Go station where I got a ticket for the 6 o'clock train. I gave him $10 since I didn't need the money anymore. I took the train and subway home. We had dinner with [redacted]. Dad got drunk and fell asleep. Ha.

- The Barbarian

Monday, November 26, 1984

Song of the day: Under the Gun - Deep Purple

We got up at 4:30 and left at 5. It was so foggy you couldn't see 2 feet in front of you. We had to stop and wait for an hour for it to clear. Even then, it wasn't that good. But somehow, we made it home all right. I drove good.

We got home at 7. We picked up Sammy. Everything was how we left it.

A good trip.

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, November 27, 1984

Song of the day: Heavy Metal Shuffle - Kick Axe

Top 5 at Five
1. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
2. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
3. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
4. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
5. Steel Claw - Tina Turner

Back to school again. I got a 45/50 on that Daphnia lab. We took a quiz in Adv Math. I did good. I got a 49 on that Computers quiz. I can't believe it.

After school, me and Jeremy went to [classmate]'s house for a Junior class crafts fair meeting. I needed the ride home so I came. [Various friends] were there. We stayed until 3:30.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, November 28, 1984

Song of the day: Killing Time - Triumph

Top 5 at Five
1. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
2. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
3. Call to the Heart - Giuffria
4. Heaven's On Fire - KISS
5. Heaven - Bryan Adams

Pretty boring day. There was massive fog rolling around. [Cute girl] is getting pretty friendly. Who knows.

Went to the Youth Enquirers meeting at 3:30. It was just us and the Rev.'s daughter.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, November 29, 1984

Song of the day: Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams

Top 5 at Five
1. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
2. Move It On Over - George Thorogood
3. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
4. Our Love - Krokus
5. Do It Again - The Kinks

I got an A on my camera obscura. [Teacher] wasn't at school today. [Goofball classmate] was back in school today. Oh, jump for joy.

I came home and just slept.

- The Barbarian

Friday, November 30, 1984

Song of the day: Cool Down - Triumph

Top 5 of the Week
1. Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple
2. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
3. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
4. Heaven's On Fire - KISS
5. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen

Everything was fine until 4th period. Then I found out I got a 64 on that test we took! Plus we took a quiz that I totally flunked! Why can't I get an A in there?

Then I fell asleep in Psychology. I didn't get my program done, either.

[Hot chick] told me that [reporter] from the Carriage Towne News took a picture of me on Dress-Up Day that's going in the paper. The caption reads: The Gay Blade is alive and well at Sanborn. Great.

I went out and bought 5 comics today. I'm back in the saddle.

I also went to the Bucket. I talked to [two buddies] and the luscious [redacted]. She's hot!

- The Barbarian

Saturday, December 1, 1984

Song of the day: A Gypsy's Kiss - Deep Purple

I got up at 6:40. [Buddy] picked me up at 7:45 and we went to the Achievement Tests. We got in there just as the first group of 15 were sent in. The guy wouldn't let us go with them, so we had to wait til 9. We finally got started at 9:15. The tests weren't that bad. English was easy, Lit you really can't tell and Math I'm hoping for the best. I hope I do good!

We were the last people out. Geez. We went to McDonalds for lunch and then home.

I drove Mom to Methuen where I got 7 comics. Then we went to the Bucket and came home. After that, I picked up a pizza from the plaza.

- The Barbarian

Sunday, December 2, 1984

Song of the day: Time Goes By - Triumph

I slept in this morning and didn't go to church. When I took the garbage to the dump, I kep going past the house on the way back. I went to Westville and picked up Thor 352, Rom 63 and the last Marvel Team Up 150. I then zipped and was home at 12:05 or so.

Later on, I had to go to the Westville Supply to return something. Then I went into Westville and got Capt. America 302, Hulk 304 and Iceman 2.

I did the first essay on my Yale application.

- The Barbarian

Monday, December 3, 1984

Song of the day: Do It Again - The Kinks

Top 5 at Five
1. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
2. Do It Again - The Kinks
3. Flying High Again - Ozzy Osbourne
4. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
5. Spellbound - Triumph

Typical Monday. Well, it wasn't that bad. Me and [classmate] got our enlargements done. The Field Bio test went alright. I hope I get an A. I got an A on that Psychology test. I get till tomorrow to hand in my program.

I got a ride home from [buddy] because Jeremy had track practice. [Classmate] trashed his car on Friday on Hunt Rd. What a joke!

Jeremy told me of a comic shop in Salem. It's on the strip way at the end. Me and [buddy] want to go there on the weekend.

I moved my comic boxes around. 2 of them are out by my record box where I can get at 'em! The Second Renaissance of Comics, Kumar style!

- The Barbarian

Tuesday, December 4, 1984

Song of the day: Dazed and Confused (live) - Led Zep      

Top 5 at Five 
1. Do It Again - The Kinks
2. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
3. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
4. Don't Worry Baby - Los Lobos
5. Heaven's On Fire - KISS

What a day! Whew! I got a 79 on that Field Bio test. I couldn't believe it!

[Journalism teacher] got a letter from the editor of The Kingstonian about my story. He wanted an apology. [Teacher] started giving me crap and giving the whole class a lecture on libel. It really isn't that bad a case, but he wanted to get a point across. I think the "boring rag" line was what did it. Oh well. I have to write an apology now. Beat.

In computers, I didn't get my program to work and I'll probably get an F on it. Beat.

I got Song Remains the Same from RCA today. Awesome.

I bought comics from Westville. Cap 303, Peter Parker 99, Beauty/Beast 2, Daredevil 216, Groo 001, Teen Titans 50 and 51. Good stuff.

- The Barbarian

Wednesday, December 5, 1984

Song of the day: Sunset Grill - Don Henley

Top 5 at Five
1. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
2. Do It Again - The Kinks
3. Metal Health - Quiet Riot
4. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
5. Don't Worry Baby - Los Lobos

Another great day. Ever since I got back from Toronto, school has really sucked! I got a 100 on one quiz, 19 on another in Adv Math. I lost points on that test and got a 60. I don't know. I got a D on that program. I hope I did good on that quiz we took.

After school, Jeremy came in to look at my comics. I let him borrow some. Then we went to his house and he let me borrow a whole humongo stack of his. All the X-Men I missed, Secret Wars, Titans and tons more. Plus he gave me Avengers 249 and Thor 349.

We went to church later.

- The Barbarian

Thursday, December 6, 1984

Song of the day: Don't Eat That Yellow Snow - Frank Zappa

Top 5 at Five
1. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen
2. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
3. Stranger in Town - Toto
4. The Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty
5. Don't Worry Baby - Los Lobos

Snow! We finally got some snow. About half a foot. There was a 2-hour school delay this morning. I just sat around reading comics.

We missed 1st and 2nd periods and had the rest of the classes. I got a 20 on that Adv Math notebook quiz. If I don't get my act together, my class rank will be all shot to hell! We've got another quiz tomorrow. Great. I also have a Psych test tomorrow. Should be easy. I got an 84 on that Computers quiz. Phew!

[Cute girl]'s pretty awesome!

- The Barbarian

Postscript: Whew! Lots going on here. The Toronto trip wasn't my first return since moving away. My brother and I spent two weeks up there in the summer of '83, but this was the first we'd all gone back. Hence all the visits with friends and relatives. It was cool to go back to Pickering, where I'd spent the last seven years before moving to the U.S. Sadly, I've lost touch with most of my friends from those days; of the core group of four or five guys who used to hang out all the time, I'm the only one on Facebook as far as I know. I've sort of connected with one of the guys, who's on Twitter but never tweets. I next went up to Toronto in the summer of '86, I think, with a buddy of mine. And have gone up every few years or so since then. This was also a cool trip because I was able to get some highway driving in.

School's a struggle. I'm not sure if I was just screwing off too much or what, but I don't remember all these shitty grades. Good thing they had no bearing on my adult life, huh?

I had forgotten about the whole Journalism class thing. We had a page in one of the local papers that we contributed to and for some reason they decided not to run it anymore. So I guess wrote a little opinion piece in the paper we jumped to, basically ripping on the other paper. Ruffled a few feathers. It blew over.

I was big into comics for the last few years I lived in Toronto and then in Washington state when we lived there. For some reason, I stopped reading them after we got to New Hampshire. But I guess seeing my cousin's collection while in Toronto got me interested again, and I jumped back into it with gusto when we got home. One thing for sure, I've always been good at spending money on entertainment.

I still enjoy the Can-Rock that nobody down here's heard of. Like Kim Mitchell, who used to be the frontman for Max Webster. Who? Exactly. Dude's a legend up in Canada. Kinda weird-looking but a helluva guitarist. He had minor success Stateside in '85 with "Go For Soda," which everyone thought was an anti-drinking song. The same album had a few odes to getting schnockered, including this song:

 
   

No comments:

Day After Day #75: Word Up!

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Word Up! (1986) When you watch old music...