Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ooh La La

Checking in from another vacation--this time around, we're up in Montreal. We drove up this morning with my mother and met my brother and his wife later in the day. Along the way, we stopped at the Ben and Jerry's location in Waterbury, VT, to do the factory tour. I finally got to try Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream and Jimmy Fallon's Late Night Snack. Both of them are pretty good. The girls had fun checking out the Flavor Graveyard, where discontinued Ben and Jerry's flavors are documented on actual headstones.

The border crossing was uneventful and we got into Montreal around 3:30. It's a bit of an adjustment...not the language but the fact that I've got my Droid on airplane mode so I don't get charged roaming fees for data. At least we've got free Internet in the hotel or I'd really be jonesing. I've resolved to use my phone as a camera/watch the next few days.

We're going to do some touristy stuff. I'd been here a few times as a kid but more recently my Montreal visits have been more, ahem, adult in nature. Perfectly happy to do the family thing this week. Our hotel's across from the Bell Centre, where the Montreal Canadiens play, so we might do a tour. We're actually meeting up with friends from Massachusetts tomorrow night and then seeing a friend of my mom's on Tuesday and some relatives Wednesday. And then Thursday, we head back home. I'm actually working on Friday.

And here's a classic slab of rock from Montreal's finest...


No comments:

Day After Day #85: Gentlemen

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Gentlemen (1993) When the Afghan Whigs...