Part 2 of my conversation with special guest Matt Phillion as we count down our favorite movie remakes. Listen to the show below or download it directly (right click and "save as").
- More remakes
- Jay: True Lies
- Arnold as James Bond
- Matt: The Fly
- The movie Jeff Goldblum was born to make
- Jay: The Ring
- The best of the remakes of Japanese horror
- Jay: Ransom
- "Gimme back my son!"
- Worst remakes
- Matt: Never remake a Michael Caine movie
- Even bad Nic Cage movies are entertaining
- The Pink Panther remakes were bad ideas
- Dean Martin's Matt Helm movies were the inspiration for Austin Powers
- Matt: Wicker Man
- Nic Cage strikes again
- Jay: Arthur
- Another pointless remake
- Matt: Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes was good
- Jay: Godzilla (1998)
- True bomb given all the merchandising tie-ins
- Soundtrack featured Godzilla sounds
- Matt owns the soundtrack
- Matt: Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake
- Shot-for-shot remake
- Jay: The Longest Yard
- Matt's never seen a Sandler movie he liked
- Playing a bunch of characters usually backfires
- Eddie Murphy's Nutty Professor was pretty funny
- Matt: Last House on the Left
- Doesn't go far enough
- Taken was enjoyable
- Liam Neeson has a very specific set of skills
- Paul Thomas Anderson vs. P.S. Anderson
- Bonehead of the Week
Archers of Loaf - Harnessed in Slums
Guided By Voices - Doughnut for a Snowman
Heartless Bastards - Parted Ways
Okkervil River - Plan D
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The show is sponsored by Budget, the country's premier car rental service with 900 locations. Go to Budget.com/CompCon and save 10% off any reservation or $30 off a weekly rental.
The Archers of Loaf song is on the remastered and expanded reissue of Vee Vee on Merge Records. Download the song for free at SoundCloud.
The Guided By Voices song is on the forthcoming album Let's Go Eat the Factory on Guided By Voices Records; the single is available from Fire Records. Download the song for free at SoundCloud.
The Heartless Bastards song is from the forthcoming album Arrow on Partisan Records. Download the song for free (in exchange for your email address) at the band's website.
The Okkervil River song is from the EP Golden Opportunities 2. Download the EP for free from the band's website.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blogs Clicky Clicky and Keeping Some Dark Secrets. Thanks to Bob Durling for the album art; find out more about his photography at his blog. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian; check out his site PodGeek.
Completely Conspicuous is a Tan God Production. Word.