This week on the podcast, I've got part 1 of my conversation with special guests Jay Breitling and Ric Dube as we discuss the world of rock books. Listen to the show below or download it directly (right click and "save as").
- Dube (check out the More Lost Time podcast) prepared well for topic
- Good time for rock books: Keith Richards, Bob Mould
- Breaking down types of rock books: Memoirs, biographies, oral histories, indexes
- Pete Townshend could do something weird with his memoir
- Air quote alert
- Objective biographies can be better than memoirs
- Police bio was very critical of the band
- SPIN magazine used to do good oral histories about bands
- Every old issue of SPIN is up on Google Books
- Mixed reviews for Klosterman
- Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life was momentous
- Got his big break with Nirvana bio in early '90s
- Breitling: I want to read only one book about a particular band
- Dube introduces us to the work of Vernon Joynson
- Trouser Press guides
- Bootlegs are much more accessible online
- Kumar: Keith Richards memoir is excellent
- Breitling: Rollins' Get in the Van is a great memoir of the Black Flag years
- Dube: Jim Greer's book about Guided By Voices is good; Greer used to play in band
- Juliana Hatfield's memoir wasn't interesting enough
- Bonehead of the Week
Boston Spaceships - Christmas Girl
Archers of Loaf - Wrong
Okkervil River - Your Past Life as a Blast
The Delta Spirit - She's Not There
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The show is sponsored by Budget, the country's premier car rental service with 900 locations. Go to Budget.com/CompCon and save 10% off any reservation or $30 off a weekly rental.
The Boston Spaceships song is on the album Let It Beard on Guided by Voices Records. Download the song for free at The Ash Gray Proclamation.
The Archers of Loaf song is on the deluxe reissue of the album Icky Mettle on Merge Records. Download the song for free at Amazon.
The Okkervil River song is on the album I Am Very Far on Jagjaguwar Records. Download the song for free at Amazon.
The Delta Spirit song is available as a free download (in exchange for your email address) at the band's website.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blogs Clicky Clicky and Keeping Some Dark Secrets. Also, check out Clicky Clicky Radio Thursdays from 8 to 10 p.m. on Boston Free Radio. Additional music used in the show is by Me and Boris the Bull, which is the brainchild of the mighty Mark Campbell. Thanks to Bob Durling for the album art; find out more about his photography at his blog. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian; check out his site PodGeek.
Completely Conspicuous is a Tan God Production. Word.