Friday, September 24, 2010

Danger! High Voltage

Some music purists have a problem with so-called "joke bands." Whether it's straight parody artists like Weird Al Yankovic or more gimmicky acts like Dread Zeppelin, bands that are less than serious about their craft often get short shrift from critics and rock snobs. I have no such qualms, so long as there's real rock spirit behind the mayhem. That's why I like bands like the Upper Crust (a great Boston-based act of the '90s whose members dressed like aristocratic fops and sounded like AC/DC) and Beatallica (which literally sounds like Metallica playing Beatles songs). Because underneath the joke, they legitimately rock.

It's also why I'm a fan of the Electric Six, a Detroit-based band that fuses hard rock and disco into an unholy conflagration that is undoubtedly awesome. And it's why despite being tired from a long week of work and a Tuesday night Superchunk show, I ventured into Cambridge last night to check out the E6 at the Middle East.

I had been into the band for a few years, thanks to a couple of my buddies who turned me onto them. I was prepared to pass on the show just because it was a busy week, but my friend AJ picked up a couple of extra tickets and persuaded me to join him and our friend Charlie. I knew it was going to be a late night and sure enough, the announced start time was 11:30 for the E6. That didn't deter me, but when I arrived in Central Square, I found out that Charlie had bailed and AJ was off dealing with an injured dog. So I hung out at the Middle East, had a few beers and then ventured downstairs to see the show.

The club was at about 75% capacity, but the place went nuts at 11:45 when the E6 came out and it was quickly apparent why: the band totally smokes live. Frontman Dick Valentine led the band through a set that combined songs from the new album Zodiac and some of the absurdist classics from the previous six albums including "Gay Bar," "Down at McDonaldz," "Danger! High Voltage," "Dance Commander" and "She's White." AJ and his girlfriend Tanya showed up about halfway through the set and joined in the sweaty, dancing throng. The band played a 70-minute set; I wish they'd come out a half hour earlier and played some more songs, but they certainly held nothing back.

Yeah, the Electric Six are pretty jokey, but who cares when they bring the rock like that? Bottom line is, they're a helluva lot of fun.

Danger! High Voltage:


Down at McDonaldz:

No comments:

Day After Day #107: Stutter

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Stutter (1993) Music history is litter...