Thursday, August 05, 2010

Mixology: Summer of Loud

Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.

Summer of Loud (7/17/94)

It's been nearly a month since the last installment of Mixology, but never fear, I've got plenty more tapes to write about. I've just been busy with traveling and work and such.

This is one of my favorite mixes EVAH. Partly because the songs on it kick so much ass, but also because it takes me back to a great, and yes, loud, summer. As shitty as the previous summer was, this summer was terrific. I was having a blast, playing softball, roller hockey and tennis, hanging out with my roommates, and just enjoying life. I didn't have a girlfriend, but it didn't matter. By the end of the summer, things were happening. They didn't pan out to anything meaningful, but they were fun nonetheless.

Work was good. I was still at the newspaper, covering the courts and the upcoming congressional race in this district, which was fun and kind of nuts. As it turned out, my old buddy Eric was the spokesman for the incumbent, which made for an interesting dynamic. I had worked with him side by side in the old Peabody Times office, so having to deal with him in a reporter-press flack relationship was weird, to say the least. On one occasion, he gave me a flippant quote and called me back 10 minutes later to try to get me not to print it. I told him, in no uncertain terms, that it was tough luck on his part and he got so pissed he told me to fvck off and hung up on me. I was stunned by that, but also found it hilarious because we were playing tennis two or three times a week at the same time. In the end, his boss ended up winning the election, in no small part due to Eric's savvy spin doctoring. But even though he was really good at this job, his heart wasn't in it; he wanted to get back to reporting and eventually he did.

That August, I flew down to Austin for a week to stay with my brother and his girlfriend. I had never been to Texas before and picked a hell of a time to go; it was brain-meltingly hot. You couldn't go outside between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Plus they were both working during the day, so I was pretty much on my own. But the nights were fun, checking out the rock clubs and great restaurants. It was a nice introduction to the city; I went back again for his graduation from law school and later in 2000 for South by Southwest.

Like I said, the music on this mix was top notch and included some of my favorite artists of that year, including Green Day, Helmet, Frank Black, Soundgarden, Pavement, Drive Like Jehu, Superchunk, the Rollins Band, Morphine. The Spinanes were a revelation; just listened to that album, Manos, the other day. Alt-rock was at its peak, before all the crappy ripoffs of Pearl Jam and Nirvana started dominating the scene. I still like to pop this tape in from time to time. It holds up.

Side A
Deuce - Lenny Kravitz
Sabotage - Beastie Boys
Wrong Man - Rollins Band
Wilma's Rainbow - Helmet
Here Come the Rome Plows - Drive Like Jehu
Basket Case - Green Day
The First Part - Superchunk
Mailman - Soundgarden
Screaming Skull - Sonic Youth
Unfair - Pavement
Headache - Frank Black
Buena - Morphine

Side B
Geek USA - Smashing Pumpkins
Ultrasuede - Matthew Sweet
Shit Towne - Live
Noel, Jonah and Me - Spinanes
A Head with Wings - Morphine
Superabound - Frank Black
Saving My Ticket - Superchunk
Golden Brown - Drive Like Jehu
Biscuits for Smut - Helmet
Disconnect - Rollins Band
Welcome to Paradise - Green Day
Spank Thru - Nirvana




Headache:


Spinanes:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This one's gold.

Jay said...

Thanks! It really captures the fun I had at that time and the great rock that was out back then.

d. brigham said...

I want to go to that mix tape.

Stuck In Thee Garage #525: April 26, 2024

It's a big, bad world out there. For some, crime is a way of life. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs about crime in hour...