Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not Tomorrow

Checking in on the night before I head up to NH for Reach the Beach. I feel ready to run. I did back-to-back 5-milers yesterday and today and skipped hockey tonight so I wouldn't injure myself before the big event. I'm actually planning to go outside in a little while to try running with my headlamp just to see what it's like. I picked up some munchies and beverages after work today: some salty stuff like pretzel rods and Wheat Thins, chocolate chip Clif Bars, and two bottles each of Gatorade, Snapple Iced Tea and Coke. There will be plenty of water available, and Deb made a batch of chocolate chip brownies for each van; again, she's a good woman. Have to pack before I hit the hay: three different sets of running clothes for my three runs, a reflective vest, clothes to change into between runs, etc. My legs are in Conway (7.23 miles), Gilmanton (4.3), and Kingston (6.7). The second run is expected to be at around 3:30 a.m., hence the headlamp and reflective vest. Kinda fitting that my final run will take place in the town from which I graduated high school. Heading up to Newburyport by 5 p.m. tomorrow, where we'll get picked up by our van and then go to NH. Our team, the Van Down by the River, doesn't actually start running until 12:20 p.m. Friday. I'll be posting Twitter updates when I can.

Bring it on home...

  • Big brawl last night in the Jays-Yanks game. After the Jays teed off on Yankees pitching, two Jays were hit by pitches and Jays reliever Jesse Carlson threw a pitch behind Jorge Posada, which triggered a series of events leading to a benches-clearing donnybrook. Nice to finally see a response from the Jays, who were hit by several pitches during the last series with NY without retaliating. Hey, when your team is 30 games back, you need something to cheer for.
  • The Leafs played their first exhibition game of the season tonight against Boston, a 3-2 loss. NHL Network carried the game, so I watched parts of it and was impressed with some of the rookies including Nasem Kadri, Victor Stalberg and Tyler Bozak. Hope to see them all as top 6 forwards someday. Hope springs eternal, right?
  • Infinite Summer comes to a close next Monday and I'm currently on p. 885 of Infinite Jest, which means I have less than 100 pages to go. I expect I'll get a fair amount of reading done in the next two days while I'm killing time between runs in RTB, so hopefully I'll have the book finished on time. I'm impressed at my progress. The next book the group is tackling is Bram Stoker's Dracula, but I'm not sure if I'll join in. I've got plenty of other books already gathering dust on my nightstand that I need to dig into.

No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #524: April 19, 2024

A wise man once said, "You might as well jump" and by gum, we believed him. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs abou...