Friday, July 17, 2009

Road Cases

We strike at dawn. By strike, of course, I mean leave for Toronto. The girls are asleep, as is the neighbors' dog, who by some happenstance we're taking care of tonight (my mother-in-law has her the rest of the weekend). Everything's packed except my stuff, but that'll take about five minutes before I go to bed. I've spent the last few hours burning CDs for the trip, running into the living room for updates on the baseball game (Sox won 4-1, dammit), and gathering various and sundry items for the trip.

We were planning to bring the girls' scooters with us so they can use them while we're there, but then Deb noticed that one was missing. Both scooters were on our porch this morning; I saw them when I was taking out the trash. So some asshole decided to walk up on our front porch in broad daylight today and steal Hannah's scooter. Classy. Deb went to Toys R Us and bought a new one tonight. Funny, I never liked the fact that they left them out on the porch because frankly, I don't trust anybody. But it had been a month or two and they were fine. Until today.

Don't remember if I mentioned it here, but we decided to leave a day early because Deb's mom decided she didn't want to go to the Billy Joel-Elton John concert in Foxboro that she had bought them tickets for. Deb sold them to a friend and we moved up our plans so we could get there tomorrow night and go to the Jays-Sox game on Sunday, which features Roy Halladay vs. Jon Lester. Might be my last chance to see Halladay in a Jays uniform. Might not. Whatever, should be great.

I'm not sure what kind of computer access I'll have up there, if any. We're staying with my uncle and I have no idea if he even has a computer. So this could be my last post for several days. If I can sneak a post or two in, I will. At the very least, I'll be posting to Facebook and Twitter from my phone, even though, for some stupid reason, I can't actually log in to Twitter from my phone. It's not just me, a lot of people can't. But I can from Deb's, so I might do so just to check it out from time to time. It's very addictive.

My Achilles' problems seem to have dissipated. I had three good runs this week, including a tough one in the midday heat today. Bought some new shoes (Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9) and they felt good. It's always nice to have that new shoe feeling. Oh, and my running column in the News this week was about the so-called runner's high.

On the podcast front, I'm hoping to rope my cousin Dev into recording a show with me while I'm up there. He's a funny dude, so I figured we could talk about the differences between Canada and the U.S. And he's also a chiropractor, so we could do a show about the healthcare system in the Great White North. So hopefully I'll have some content ready to go when we get back next weekend.

It's not the heat, it's the--wait, it's the heat:

No comments:

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...