Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hopeless Case of a Kid in Denial

What is up? We're in the midst of a little heat wave--I think it got up to 30 degrees today. Tomorrow might hit 35! Back to the coldiosity on Saturday night, though. I'm looking forward to getting back on the roads tomorrow and Saturday. Just need to watch out for black ice. The last thing I need is to wipe out.


I was hobbling a little bit today after doing speedwork yesterday and then playing hockey last night. At least we had some subs so it wasn't as brutal as last week.


I just got off the phone with my mom, who just arrived in India. She's there until late March. Temps are in the 70s there. I'm jealous.


Hope and change and whatnot:
  • President Obama got off to a quick start by signing an order to close Guantanamo Bay within a year. Which is cool, but I wonder where all those prisoners are going to end up.
  • The Oscar nominations are out. Looks like "The Dark Knight" got jobbed, but the Academy was loving "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which scored 13 nominations. As always, I haven't seen most of the nominated films because they're not all out on DVD yet. I'd say by next June, I should have a good handle on who should win.
  • Ah, the Leafs. After an energetic, overachieving start to the season, they're playing the way I thought they would: Inconsistent and mostly crappy. Lately, they've found ways to lose games they had well in hand. In the last week, they've blown a four-goal lead against Carolina only to eke out a win, and turned 3-1 leads against Atlanta and Boston into losses. They're asking the fans in Toronto for more support, but come on. It's rough rooting for a rebuilding team. I just hope they'll be somewhere close to good in a couple of years, the way the Bruins are at the top of the league now after a stretch of awfulness. And don't even get me started on the Blue Jays. Ugh.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Beat it, Spammy!

Day After Day #85: Gentlemen

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Gentlemen (1993) When the Afghan Whigs...