Wednesday, June 14, 2006

While You Were Out

Hello. Yes, yes, I'm a slacker. I'm currently taking a break during the third intermission of Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals. The Canes and Oilers are tied at 3 going into overtime. Edmonton has to win to avoid elimination. I love this stuff.

Played hockey for the first time in a month last night and was definitely sucking wind. Although my defining moment of the evening occurred when I was screening the opposing goalie and took a shot from a teammate right in the cup. It hit me so hard I felt the impact through the cup, right in the crotchal area. Not fun. Fortunately, the pain went away and all is right with the world. But that was scary.

What the dealio?
  • I haven't been a regular comics reader in about 17 years, but apparently Spider-man no longer has a secret identity. Interesting.
  • The World Cup has begun to much fanfare everywhere in the world but here. The U.S. team got off to a terrible start Monday with a 3-0 loss to the Czechs; it doesn't look promising for the Yanks. Best name of the tournament is Brazilian star Kaka. I always thought that was a pretty universal term, but I guess not.

Gotta go watch hockey now. More later.

UPDATE: Hey, I'm back. Edmonton dominated the beginning of the OT, took a penalty, and then Fernando Pisani of the Oilers stole the puck at the Hurricanes blue line and scored on a beautiful shot to the top right corner. Oilers win 4-3 and go back to Edmonton for Game 6 Saturday night, down 3-2 in the series. Awesome.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hu hu hu, "crotchal," huh huh uh.

I fondly recall the 'Canes run of four years ago when I had to follow their shenanigans for AOL. That's an exciting team. That said, I haven't seen a single NHL game this year. That strike really made me forg... hey, are those donuts?

Jay said...

Yeah, the Canes of '02 didn't really have a shot in the finals against Detroit. This year, they have a much better team and they're still one win away. It's nice to see people into hockey down in NASCAR country. The finals are on NBC, gathering some seriously low ratings, no doubt. The games have been good.

So OJ, you're a former soccer krishna. Have you watched any World Cup games yet?

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, man, I watched three games last weekend, and plan on watching USA v. Italy Saturday at 3PM. Although after reading about the 0-3 shellacing they took from the Czechs, I am not optimistic about the U.S.'s chances of advancement.

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...