Friday, March 10, 2006

That's the Punch Line

Back at ya on a Friday night. We had ourselves a little heat wave today. Temps got up into the mid-60s; of course, I was stuck in the office all day, so I never got to actually go out and enjoy it. But it's supposed to stay warm well into next week. I'll take it.

Here's mud in yer eye:
  • I've seen mixed reviews of Jon Stewart's performance as host of the Oscars last Sunday. I think some people were expecting him to trash everyone and do some big anti-Bush rant, but that's really not his style. I thought he was really funny, made some good points without being overly harsh, and kept things moving. The awards pretty much went as expected, with the exception of Crash winning best picture over Brokeback Mountain. I was shocked. Crash was the only one of the best picture nominees I've seen (I catch about 99.99% of my movies on DVD these days, usually about a year after they come out), and while I applaud the sentiment, it came off as heavy-handed to me.
  • Holy crap, what happened to Eddie Van Halen? He looks like someone's deranged aunt.
  • Speaking of freaky photos, here's the latest strange species discovered by scientists: Furry lobster-looking crustaceans. I sure hope this doesn't lead to the furry lobster roll. Yecch.
  • My buddy Bob tipped me off to this cool comics-centric blog today. Basically, it's a dude reviewing selections from his comic book collection, complete with scanned-in art and funny commentary. Good schtuff, if you're a dork like me.
  • Supposedly, Osama Bin Laden's niece is going to star in a reality show about her search for stardom; she lives in NYC and is an aspiring singer. In about 20 years, there will probably be more people with reality shows than without them.

No comments:

Day After Day #112: Army of Me

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4). Army of Me (1995) When it comes to artis...