Monday, February 13, 2006

Stormy in the North, Karma in the South

So we had us a little thing we like to call a blizzard over the weekend. When all was said and done yesterday, 17 inches of fluffy white stuff had fallen in our fine city. Not quite as bad as the 27 that NYC got, but certainly a helluva lot more than we'd seen all winter. The worst part of it for me was not being able to get my long run in yesterday; guess I should have done it on Saturday instead. I figured I'd be able to at least do it on a treadmill at the Beverly Y, but they never even bothered opening. Guess I can't blame them. As for me, I prefer my blizzards from Dairy Queen.

Chex party mix:
  • The Olympics have begun. Because everything is happening six hours ahead in Italy, it's not hard to find out the key medal winners well before NBC airs its heavily edited prime time coverage. It's going to be a challenge when the men's hockey tournament starts to avoid seeing the scores online before I get a chance to watch the games that I've TiVoed. That and the ice dancing. I loves me some ice dancing.
  • Even though the wiretaps that caught Wayne Gretzky talking about the Rick Tocchet gambling ring appear to back up Wayne's story that he didn't know anything about the operation, he's still under heavy media scrutiny. A press conference about Team Canada held before he left for Italy was primarily full of questions about the gambling fiasco. Methinks this will follow the Great One around for quite some time. Meanwhile, the Canadian women's hockey team is under fire for running up the score against two lesser opponents: a 16-0 shellacking of host Italy and a 12-0 win over Russia the following night. It's a difficult issue because there are so few good women's hockey teams in the world right now. And I'm not sure what good it does anyone for Canada to just stop trying after the outcome becomes obvious. Doesn't that turn the game into a joke as well?
  • The biggest lesson learned this weekend: Never walk into the woods with Dick Cheney.

No comments:

Stuck In Thee Garage #525: April 26, 2024

It's a big, bad world out there. For some, crime is a way of life. This week on Stuck In Thee Garage, I played songs about crime in hour...