Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Somewhere to Nowhere

Helloooo, Cleveland! I'm a tad bummed because I just watched (on TiVo) the Canadian men's hockey team get bumped from the Olympics by the Russians, 2-0. It wasn't a total shocker because the Canucks had been sleepwalking through the entire tourney, never really getting things going. The team was stacked with NHL stars, many of whom played on the 2002 gold-medal winning squad, but watching them get outskated by teams like Finland and Russia, I wonder if they would have been better served if they left some veterans behind and brought young stars like Eric Staal, Sidney Crosby, and Dion Phaneuf. No doubt there is plenty of weeping and gnashing of teeth going on in my homeland right now. The U.S. also got the heave-ho in today's single-elimination game against undefeated Finland, a 4-3 defeat that I was unable to see. I did see highlights and three of the Finnish goals seemed to be a tad soft, with Rick DiPietro getting a piece of each one before it dribbled in. The Americans also had difficulties scoring throughout the Olympics. Now it's done to the final four on Friday: the Czech Republic vs. Sweden and Finland vs. Russia. I'm rooting for Mats Sundin and the Swedes...

Speaking of hockey, caught a great game in person last Friday night as UNH came back to beat BU, 7-4. I went with my buddy Rick, who has season tickets, and as we were in line for beer, I spotted a fellow UNHer and good pal, Bob and our UMaine-lovin' friend Justin. As we yapped for a bit, BU raced out to a quick 3-0 lead and it looked like it would be a long night. Fortunately, the Wildcats woke up and made things interesting. Of course, the two teams played up in Durham, NH, the next night and BU won 3-2.

Not a Cheney joke in sight:
  • Wanted to give a so-called shout out to my good friend OJ, who after doing yeoman's work on Junkmedia's World of Sound blog has moved his indie rock reporting back to his own Clicky Clicky Internet home page. As if doing that and holding down a full-time job isn't enough, he also contributes to the excellent Two and 1/2 Pounds of Bacon (mmm...pounds) MP3 bloggity blog blog. And he still breaks out the orange pants every once in a while.
  • Congrats to my lovely wife Deb, who has successfully raised the $2,500 she pledged to the fine folks at Massachusetts Adoption Resource Exchange in return for a Boston Marathon number. She's not done fund-raising, though, as she set a goal of $3,000. So please donate some coin to a good cause if you haven't already.
  • My marathon training is picking up as well. I ran 44 miles last week and I'm on my way to another 42 this week. Add to that the 90 minutes of 4-on-4 hockey with no subs I played last night and I'm pretty sore.
  • We should congratulate any woman who has just had a child, but if said woman is 62 and has 11 kids, 20 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, all I can say is WTF?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the propers.

Shizz, man, if you take all the running I've done in the last 10 years it doesn't add up to 44 miles. If I didn't have a gym class that was pure running my senior year in college I think we'd have to go back 14 years. You are a beast.

Day After Day #106: Doo Wop (That Thing)

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998) A lot of t...