Friday, April 22, 2005

Working for the Weekend

Another week has flown by and here we are on Friday night. Of course, it helps when you have a short week, but usually that just means more work crammed into fewer days. On Wednesday, the temps hit the mid-80s to give us a tease of summer before we dropped back down into the 50s yesterday.

Actually ran 15 miles this week and felt good on every one of them. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's nice to be back on the road on a regular basis.

Oh, and another thing:

  • So it turns out the "finger in the Wendy's chili" incident was a hoax. The cops arrested the woman who claimed she found the digit. Turns out she has a history of suing restaurants. Wendy's should sue her sorry ass, not just for lost sales but for making the whole chain a laughing stock.
  • I didn't have a problem with Detroit Free-Press sports columnist Mitch Albom until he started writing sappy shizz like "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." Well, turns out he's in some hot water for apparently writing a column about a Michigan State hoops game 24 hours before it happened; he wrote that two former MSU players now in the NBA (Mateen Cleaves and Jason Richardson) had flown in for the game. Only problem was, despite telling Albom they planned to go, both players never went to the game. Now the Free-Press has suspended Albom while it investigates the rest of his columns to make sure no other fabrications have occurred. Chalk it up to life in the post-Jayson Blair era. Granted, it's not as bad as what this jackass did, but still, you can't be making stuff up.
  • Back when I was at UNH, one of my roommates had a buddy at Dartmouth who knew a fellow student named Jay Kumar who was also an English major. I believe this is the other Jay Kumar. Actually, if you do a Google search, there's a ton of guys with my name out there. But this guy has also gone into specialty journalism: he's an expert on bass fishing. Hey, somebody's gotta be. Seriously, I first heard of him when a guy I worked with brought in a bass fishing magazine and asked me if I was doing some writing on the side. Nope. Now he's also written a book about Bigfoot. Pretty cool. Don't worry: my book will be out sometime in 2012.
  • One of my fave power-pop acts, Sloan, is coming out with a greatest-hits collection. All of which is a bit puzzling to fans like myself and Dr. Doobs; why would a band that doesn't really have any hits (in the U.S., anyway) put out a hits compilation that will have a limited appeal at best? We'd both rather see a B-sides album, because the band could definitely sell a bunch of those to its fan base. My guess is it's a record company idea; at least it's coming with a bonus DVD. And even better, the band is supposedly touring behind it, which is always a good thing. The site I linked to above has a video for one of the new cuts on the hits album.
  • My main man Briggy has revampified his Internet home page, turning it into what he calls a "non-blog." Visit early and often for Angry Dave's insights and observations. But remember: it's not a blog.

All right, go on with your bad self.

No comments:

Day After Day #85: Gentlemen

Day After Day is an ambitious attempt to write about a song every day in 2024 (starting on Jan. 4).   Gentlemen (1993) When the Afghan Whigs...