Thursday, July 08, 2010

Mixology: Puttin' the Smack Down in '99

Mixology is a recurring feature in which I take a look at one of the many mix tapes I made over the years. Some are better than others, but all of them are fun to revisit.

Puttin' the Smack Down in '99 (3/2/99)

As far as last years of millenia go, 1999 was a pretty cool year. Sure, later in the year there was all that Y2K bullcrap that got everybody all worked up over nothing, but for me, it was a pivotal year. In March, I was still working at Opus Communications in Marblehead and enjoying it, but within a few months I'd start looking for a new job and by October, I was working at Webnoize. I was living with my buddies Mike and Roger in March, but I'd be engaged within a few months and Deb and I would have our own place across town in October.

I was just getting into running regularly. I had run my first 5k the previous fall and was doing a lot of 3-mile runs in addition to weightlifting and playing hockey. In June, I ran my first 10k with Deb, but I didn't work my way up to a half-marathon until the spring of 2001.

I went to a lot of Bruins games with my buddy Phil that spring, as well as the Beanpot. I also went to Myrtle Beach for a week of golf with my good pal Chris; he still organizes that trip every year, but I haven't gone since 2001.

For a feverish few weeks early in the year, I got my rock n' roll on with my longest stint in a band in my life. My buddy Bob and I had schemed about forming a band for a few years, but it didn't come together until he decided he wanted to have a band play a party at his house in February '99. So for a few weeks, Bob (bass and sax), me (vocals) and our friends Ric (guitar) and Marc (drums) feverishly worked up a set to play at the party as Bea Arthur's Revenge, a name that Bob and I had come up with probably a year earlier. We learned a bunch of songs and ended up playing five at the party; some of the set was caught on video and Ric later turned it into a CD and DVD set. It was about as much fun as I've ever had. We jammed a few times after that, but BAR kinda fizzled. The following year, Ric and I played a set at Bob's Halloween party as Cirrhosis, a pair of obnoxious British brothers based on the Gallaghers of Oasis. We played three or four Kinks covers and engaged in contentious banter with the audience; it was a blast. We opened up for Kumquat, a band that featured Bob and some other friends of ours. Unfortunately, that was the last "band" I've ever played in. Soon after, Deb and I had kids and it got tougher to find the time to regularly schlep the 45 minutes or so to jam with those guys. One of these days, though, I will find time to make a solo album. Mark my words...

This tape is a mostly alt-rock with some funk mixed in. I was still rocking a Sony Walkman at that time, so I listened to the cassette both in the car and at the gym. By this time the following year, I'd be listening to music on my first MP3 player, a Diamond Rio. That bad boy held a whopping 64 MB of music, or about eight songs, but at the time, it was pretty damn revolutionary. The iPod wouldn't come along until the fall of 2001, and I wouldn't get one until 2004.

Side A:
Lotus - R.E.M.
Baker Street - Foo Fighters
Flame - Sebadoh
The Big Lie - Gigolo Aunts
On the Horizon - Sloan
Carmalina - The Pursuit of Happiness
The Bends - Radiohead
Membership - The Tragically Hip
Pilate - Pearl Jam
Somethin' Hot - Afghan Whigs
My Song - Jerry Cantrell
The Ocean - WOW
I Need Peace - Frank Black and the Catholics

Side B:
Chocolate Salty Balls - Chef (South Park)
Live - Lenny Kravitz
Up for the Down Stroke - Parliament Funkadelic
Freddie's Dead - Curtis Mayfield
Delirious - Prince
Don't Believe the Hype - Public Enemy
Lovin' Machine - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Twiggy Twiggy - Pizzicato Five
Tomboy - Bettie Serveert
The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rocking) - Mono Puff
Bloodclot - Rancid
Unheard Music - Elastica and Stephen Malkmus
I'm Not LIke Everybody Else - Boss Hog
Run Kid Run - Rocket From the Crypt




The Bends:


Twiggy Twiggy:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Stuck In Thee Garage #654: October 16, 2026

By the time Friday rolls around, the weight of the world can weigh heavy on your shoulders. Not that it goes away on the weekends, but at le...